Grow Tent for Tropicals - setup guide

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Setting up a grow tent can be daunting to get started. I've been pretty successful with mine for the past several years, so I thought I'd put together a quick guide on what works for me. I grow orchids, tropicals, and several 'houseplants'/kusamono successfully. I assemble it typically in October, and take it down in April. Basically at the 40 degree threshhold for night time temps. I'm in zone 7a.

123.jpg

Tent - I use one like this, but I lay it down on it's side. Kind of unorthodox, but it works great to get more floor space and closer lighting. It's about 7' long, and 4' wide/deep.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Hydr...d=1&keywords=grow+tent&qid=1632831176&sr=8-10

I have a handful of grow lights that I move around depending on what I've got going. Similar to these below. I started angling them at a 45 degrees, and it's effective to cover more area and encourage lower growth on the trees. I rotate the trees regularly to keep the light even:

For temp control:

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-...house+light+controller&qid=1632831444&sr=8-12

Outlet fan:

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inline-Booster-Noise-Grounded/dp/B01C82SZRM/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=greenhouse+fan+6"&qid=1632831500&sr=8-21

Heater:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MX8VN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Light control:

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Comp...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And that's the basic kit. I keep it in a garage that holds some heat. The lights alone keep it warm enough inside the tent until the garage gets down to about 50 degrees. When the temps outside get above about 70, the fan kicks on and will cool the tent down. I exhaust out the top of the tent, and keep a low vent open to move air through. Temperature controller I set to turn on the fan inside the tent when it gets above 90 degrees, and the heater turns on at 78 degrees.

The lights have fans built in that circulate air really well.

Water management is a challenge in tents. I water by hand, ever day. This system puts out massive growth on the tropicals and orchids, nearly as much or more than in the summertime so I have to stay on top of watering or they cook. I laid down some corrugated roofing in the base of the tent, on a slope so water flows to one corner of the tent then out a drain line into a bucket. Hard to explain...but you'll have to figure something to get water to drain. Over the top of the roofing material, I run some cedar lattice to make a stable platform and keep the pots out of the water.

I run the lights 16 hours on, 8 hours off, with them off during the hottest part of the day to keep the temps more consistent.

Let me know if you have specific questions, glad to help.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Somewhat off putting image with equipment all akimbo. 😉. Glad it’s not your tent

cheeres
DSD sends

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice setup. Do you get high humidity for the tropicals?

Absolutely. It runs near 100% humidity most of the winter. It comes down some when it’s warmer outside and the fans run more often, but never much lower than about 70%. It’s almost too much. Gets a TON of aerial roots easily if that’s your thing. This is a benjamina for example. One winters’ roots:

IMG_0117.jpeg

desu

Seedling
Reaction score
Ficus goin buck wild. Is the 100% humidity just from the frequent watering? Or do you use a humidifier?

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Daily watering + heat from lights = evaporation!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Absolutely. It runs near 100% humidity most of the winter. It comes down some when it’s warmer outside and the fans run more often, but never much lower than about 70%. It’s almost too much. Gets a TON of aerial roots easily if that’s your thing. This is a benjamina for example. One winters’ roots:
Wow! I've been trying to get my dwarf schefflera to root like that for a banyan style tree.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't found the need to use a tent for my tropicals. They do well just in the basement with their lights and good air movement.

You seem to have done well with yours however a lot of people encounter issues with too much humidity and fungus among other things.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't found the need to use a tent for my tropicals. They do well just in the basement with their lights and good air movement.

You seem to have done well with yours however a lot of people encounter issues with too much humidity and fungus among other things.

It definitely takes some work and tweaking. I have no basement or good indoor option, so the tent is it.

Once you get it right, the winter can become the main growing season…I repot in winter now for the tent trees, it is their most vigorous season with this setup.

Great setup to strike cuttings easily too.

Gives me a lot to do during the off season too. 😀

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It definitely takes some work and tweaking. I have no basement or good indoor option, so the tent is it.

Once you get it right, the winter can become the main growing season…I repot in winter now for the tent trees, it is their most vigorous season with this setup.

Great setup to strike cuttings easily too.

Gives me a lot to do during the off season too. 😀

Mine grow well for me most of the winter as well. I usually have to cut them back at least twice.
Either way is correct, just interesting the range of conditions you can succeed with.

CarpenterDiaz7

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is very interesting and cool, never would I have thought to put my tent ont its side to increase the footprint for the plant! On a second note those aerial roots are nuts and reading you keep it at near 100% humidity! Last season (my first) I kept at above 85%, and I mold problems that I could not control, lost a couple of trees too. This year I went with an exhaust fan and automated setup by acinfinity better lighting and everything seems to be going well. I have the fan exhausting when the humidity goes above 85%, turns off at 78% and sustains at around 75% throughout the day. Willing this keeps working as I plan to add another setup…

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does your exhaust route to outside? This won't be me for a while, but I am taking notes 📝

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does your exhaust route to outside? This won't be me for a while, but I am taking notes 📝

Not really - It’s in an unheated garage, and just vents into that. Lots of airflow around my old garage door.

desu

Seedling
Reaction score
wheres everyone placing their heater? seems like having the plants less than a foot from the heater they burn. I have a vivosun 4x4x8 tent and a standard space heater.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine is in a corner, angled away from anything too close to it. I try to keep the drier cactus, larger potted hearty trees and succulents nearest to it and tiny trees, orchids, delicate stuff on the other side.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_1644.jpeg

Heater: Bottom left under the thermostat on cheap plastic shelves. They help keep it dry and give a little more space.

Top Bottom