Growing some JBP

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Add another wire
Great idea! Thanks.
Sadly,I do not have the Pines from Julian anymore.I tend to be really fickled with my priorities sometimes and it seems I am happiest and more determined with trees I make myself.........I am keeping the corkers from Brent though.
I did see a nice technique from Bonsai Tonight how you can anchor the wire to the bottom of the pot and run up through the soil and around the bottom of the seedling.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Potted up the seedlings

So ,I only have room for about 20 of them.Did not get too pickey with the ones I selected either.They typically had the nicest roots and were the vigorous ones.
I trimmed the tap roots.
They are now getting great aeration in the perlite and fabric Rootpouch pots and also bottom heat on a thermostat.
Gave a weak dose of fertilizer and rooting concentrate.
Well...five months to go....perhaps I started too early,but I am enjoying the process:cool:Although I read Forestry service starts their trees five months early indoors under LED’s.
Will get another Qb288 light for the zelkova seedlings right next to these pines in a couple months,so will be tons of light.

Attachments

• 22DD0100-F7A2-44B1-8242-4DB953417ACB.jpeg
    22DD0100-F7A2-44B1-8242-4DB953417ACB.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 0F60CC54-13C9-49CD-992C-E3A497539483.jpeg
    0F60CC54-13C9-49CD-992C-E3A497539483.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seedlings growing good

It has only been a little over 2 weeks since these were just sprouting out of the perlite and they seem to be growing nicely.
Glad I switched to a slightly larger grade perlite when I potted them in the Rootpouches.The aeration is excellent in these fabric pots! Roots should be growing like crazy with the bottom heat 75-80 degreesF.
Since I harvest rainwater,I found a nice tip on the web to preserve some nutrient solution by using a small shop vac to drain my flood tray!
Works great.Then reuse the nutrient solution,sort of like a manual recirculating system:cool:
The lights are 12” away and providing between 600-900 ppfd.Should be intense enough...lol

Attachments

• 38A0A2FE-08DB-4EA4-843F-ACBA082EDDDD.jpeg
    38A0A2FE-08DB-4EA4-843F-ACBA082EDDDD.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 87
  • AEDD7D72-75AB-47A8-ABF5-C34D589873D4.jpeg
    AEDD7D72-75AB-47A8-ABF5-C34D589873D4.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 01BD6910-D26C-4282-9589-F17624D032C5.jpeg
    01BD6910-D26C-4282-9589-F17624D032C5.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 69
  • C323AB76-AE0E-4E3C-9C1A-E3D5A97A8342.jpeg
    C323AB76-AE0E-4E3C-9C1A-E3D5A97A8342.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 70
  • ED22CFB6-C565-4E51-9285-B45239C59C16.jpeg
    ED22CFB6-C565-4E51-9285-B45239C59C16.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 161

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't forget to wire early so you can get some movement before it's too hard to do so. :)
These are 5 1/2 yr old seedlings.

View attachment 216957View attachment 216958View attachment 216959
Cool,Thanks!
Nice Pines you got there.
I will be satisfied when these trees get about a 3/4-1” trunk on them with short needles and yes ,wire early.Will be exciting to have some simple shaped pines.The kind of shapes that originally sparked my interest in Bonsai quite a few years ago.
Great fun!
Thanks for the pictures.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow,nice collection there.I will have to expand on a Pine grow area.I’m not sure if I will have room for all 20 since using rainwater(150 gallons) Have to save some for my Zelkova Broom production!
Half inch of rain will fill all five barrels though....gets a little worrisome thinking about dry spells @Thomas J.

Last edited:

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This for the mame tree? Hai he bend is too tight foir over 15 centimeter.! Hai

For example of future tree we bending wire first to shape in hand. Hai. We can now taking some paper or tubue in the desired form of future tree trunk thick. Hai. if bend is this tight we can see 2 form. No 1 form is small diameter trunk. Number 2 form is undesirable ball in trunk from tight bend forming from the growing together in future. Hai Recommendation is proper bend for future form, vision is short, or tree is. Hai

Thank you for discussion wire for trunk. Hai Thank you.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In order to get those fat trunks you'll need plenty of room to grow up and out. :)
You may even need to tie a few of them down.
These are 4 1/2 yr old seedlings. :)

View attachment 216999View attachment 217000

If the too strong in center bud then line is that of bullhorn. Hai. Recommendation is to correct sooner. Hai This correction making the correct Y shaping in furture of progression. Hai If not then form is of U. hai, We can see the U bottom in future tree, this us not desirable. Hai

Enjoy seeing your tree. Hai Tank you Thank you. discussion Thank you HAI HAI!

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Seedlings growing good

It has only been a little over 2 weeks since these were just sprouting out of the perlite and they seem to be growing nicely.
Glad I switched to a slightly larger grade perlite when I potted them in the Rootpouches.The aeration is excellent in these fabric pots! Roots should be growing like crazy with the bottom heat 75-80 degreesF.
Since I harvest rainwater,I found a nice tip on the web to preserve some nutrient solution by using a small shop vac to drain my flood tray!
Works great.Then reuse the nutrient solution,sort of like a manual recirculating system:cool:
The lights are 12” away and providing between 600-900 ppfd.Should be intense enough...lol

This technique make many white root. Hai. Not so good. When make the growing pot for some 3 year or more then problem will rising. You think the problem is current environment, but problem is long hidden is soils. Hai If interest is making the pre bonsai, the Craftsman Aiko can help for teaching, his book in the Japanese, so hard for English speaking only for some learning. Hai His family teaching make the pre bonsai for over 35o year. With him Knowledge is number one in first stage development of bonsai. Hai We can also learn from single Craftsman to win No 1 tree with only 20 year coming not from the Yamadori. Hai no one win before his presentation like that before. Hai This Aiko teaching. Hai

Thank you, enjoyable discussion American Pine bonsai style. Hai Thank you. Now for me is time for sleeping, thank you.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I find picture of tree I am wiring for correct form. Hai Shape is subtle, in all direction is flowing. Hai In this point bending is soft. Hai

Attachments

• IMG_4232.JPG
    IMG_4232.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 197

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m loving that 2nd pic. Mine’s only as thin as a pencil, and I’ve got a gnarly-ish bend way at the bottom, but maybe I need to twist it just a little more

You have clear vision for today. Hai You must learn to have vision of future. Hai Taking wire example I using above will bring much clarity. Hai Thank you.

mark_g

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This technique make many white root. Hai. Not so good. When make the growing pot for some 3 year or more then problem will rising. You think the problem is current environment, but problem is long hidden is soils. Hai If interest is making the pre bonsai, the Craftsman Aiko can help for teaching, his book in the Japanese, so hard for English speaking only for some learning. Hai His family teaching make the pre bonsai for over 35o year. With him Knowledge is number one in first stage development of bonsai. Hai We can also learn from single Craftsman to win No 1 tree with only 20 year coming not from the Yamadori. Hai no one win before his presentation like that before. Hai This Aiko teaching. Hai

Thank you, enjoyable discussion American Pine bonsai style. Hai Thank you. Now for me is time for sleeping, thank you.

@Kendo please elaborate on these. Do you mean to grow the seedlings in proper bonsai soil as early as possible? What kind of problems do you encounter when growing in this kind of condition?
Thanks.

Mark

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Getting a little stronger.

Looks like they’re going to start elongating.I can see buds or needles starting to form at the bottom of the first leaves too.Like they are getting stronger and getting ready to do something.
I must admit ,I am having way too much fun starting these indoors.

Attachments

• 1250BC17-E5E7-4CD4-B26F-3B73552666D3.jpeg
    1250BC17-E5E7-4CD4-B26F-3B73552666D3.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 781133E9-DE3C-4DBC-AD2A-1C5550E6AB74.jpeg
    781133E9-DE3C-4DBC-AD2A-1C5550E6AB74.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 101

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Kendo please elaborate on these. Do you mean to grow the seedlings in proper bonsai soil as early as possible? What kind of problems do you encounter when growing in this kind of condition?
Thanks.

Mark

Always number 1 to get to the Bonsai soils. Hai If in the dirt we not make the Shin correctly. Hai Hai If we not have the shin, we not have the Bonsai. Hai Thank you for discussion. Hai Thank you.

mark_g

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Always number 1 to get to the Bonsai soils. Hai If in the dirt we not make the Shin correctly. Hai Hai If we not have the shin, we not have the Bonsai. Hai Thank you for discussion. Hai Thank you.

Ok i get it.. Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell what bonsai master aoki do when making pre bonsai.

Last edited:

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Getting a little stronger.

Looks like they’re going to start elongating.I can see buds or needles starting to form at the bottom of the first leaves too.Like they are getting stronger and getting ready to do something.
I must admit ,I am having way too much fun starting these indoors.

Many say he pine tree is growing many year before the Bonsai. Hai In the starting of the new life and creating of form from your vision, we know the craft of bonsai is more than one beginning. Hai This is always reason to thank your fathers and enjoy this new life, our message to the future. Hai Thank you.

I am always making smiling when in garden. Hai My Grandfathers have come to passing in the years, but he tree and its heart stay with me in garden. Hai This I can know his hand each day. Wind can add to form, but hand is strong in branch. Hai

Much enjoyment from passing this my vision, much like you I think with new tree to form. Hai

Top Bottom