gyotaku scrolls

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
sharing some scrolls I had made up. the pictures are gyotaku fish prints from originals created by a hawaii artist. something new and different. for bonsai display and wall art

best wishes, sam

DSC05599.jpgDSC05601.jpgDSC05604.jpgDSC05605.jpg

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those are nice. I never heard of gyotaku before. Do I understand correctly that ink is applied to the actual fish and then pressed on to paper? Thanks for sharing.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Those are nice. I never heard of gyotaku before. Do I understand correctly that ink is applied to the actual fish and then pressed on to paper? Thanks for sharing.

Print, as in pattern, not as in pressure applied.....This comment had me picturing a crazy Hawaiian dipping fish in ink and sitting on them....Almost had a heart attack laughing....

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I have a rare out of print book on the subject and a print of an asagi koi that is framed to appreciate. It's a difficult technique to learn and takes the right amount of ink/color and proper thickness of paper to do correctly. :)

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
thanks for the discussion. the originals from which my prints came were created by an artist in Honolulu who did the actual pressings with fresh fish. while I doubt I am the first person to merge gyotaku and scroll, I have not seen this done before-the point being that this is an experiment. lessons learned will translate to a better next generation.

best wishes, sam

Top Bottom