Hackberry airlayer project

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I started this Hacberry ( Celtis australus) from a seed about 20 years ago and grew it in the ground for several years. I put it in a bonsai pot a couple of years ago. The inverse taper bothered me more every time I looked at it so I decided to get drastic and airlayer.
I've done a lot of airlayers but this is the first of this type on a bonsai I don't want to kill.
Here goes.

The tree before the project
airlayer_010.jpg

Bark removal

airlayer_004.jpg

The plastic basket
airlayer_006.jpg

filled with soil
airlayer_009.jpg

And now we wait
airlayer_010.jpg

airlayer_011.jpg

The soil I used is Turface mixed with about 10% shredded sphagnum moss.
I brushed Rootone onto the edge where I want roots and covered to soil surface with moss to hold moisture.
Wish me luck!

Paul

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Good luck indeed!

I can't wait to find out what happens. It is my understanding that these don't do especially well from cuttings or layering. Please let us know your results!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Success! I separated the layer Saturday and it looks great. Lots of roots.
bonsai_91109_002.jpg

The roots are evenly around the trunk.
bonsai_91109_005.jpg

Ready to pot.
bonsai_91109_012.jpg

In the new pot.
bonsai_91109_014.jpg

Paul

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, that is Awesome! To grow a tree 20 years to what looked great to me and then chance killing it to make it better. Hopefully in time I will gain the knowledge and confidence to do such a thing.

"Keep LOOkin Up!"
Michael

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most impressive - I tried the same thing with my C. occidentalis, but I was not aggressive enough with the girdling ring (probably not wide enough) and the cambium regrew. I was disappointed when I removed the basket and saw no roots.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The stump will go in the ground next spring to regrow.
Paul

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
sac show 2012 001.jpg

Here is my Hackberry in the Sacramento Bonsai Club show today.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice! Air layer to show in 3 years, most impressive! Who made the pot?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The pot is by a local Northern California potter named Pate.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a hackberry that I collected in NW Arkansas about ten years ago. It has done very well and I like it a lot but it has a similar problem - bad reverse taper right above the soil level. My first idea was a root graft but hackberry are not found naturally quite this far north so I could not get any seedlings. I have been afraid to try a layer. Your project is just what I needed to see. Thank you, Paul, for posting. One question though. Did you do the layer in June?

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I have a hackberry that I collected in NW Arkansas about ten years ago. It has done very well and I like it a lot but it has a similar problem - bad reverse taper right above the soil level. My first idea was a root graft but hackberry are not found naturally quite this far north so I could not get any seedlings. I have been afraid to try a layer. Your project is just what I needed to see. Thank you, Paul, for posting. One question though. Did you do the layer in June?

I started the layer in the last week of May and it had enough roots to separate it in the fall.

Top Bottom