Has anyone import bonsai trees from another country? What are the steps ?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It's wild they don't have an "English version" button somewhere on that website. Are there enough Vietnamese nationals near Sarasota, or in Florida, doing bonsai, to support this place? The notion they are "second only to Wigerts in Florida" is impressive.

Honestly, they are a distant second to Wigerts, But I really enjoyed browsing through their nursery. I am fascinated by exotic, not native to USA, tropical fruit trees, and Mai Vang Florida had quite a few that I had to read labels to know what I was looking at. Sometimes had to look them up on the phone. Those that know my botany skills, know that doesn't happen often. They are not a "bonsai nursery", they are a tropical and sub-tropical fruit free nursery. Of the 4 nurseries I personally visited while in Florida, they came in at a solid second, after Wigerts. The other 2 nurseries were not worth the time or mentioning. I was staying in Sarasota, and never traveled far inland or to the east coast that trip.

So I do encourage others to visit them. And like I said, in person, where they don't have to go through the hassle of packing and shipping a plant, the prices are much more reasonable than on their website.

Dave704

Seedling
Reaction score
Your adventure is very species and size specific. You can import most species (bare rooted) 10mm in diameter and less, like regular plants (and less than 2 years old from seed cuttings or layers). Over 10mm you get into species specific quarantine issues, because of the Asian Longhorned Beetle. Some species are not hostes and not a problem, others require a 2 year post entry quarantine. Some are not allowed pending risk assessment study. You can become an approve quarantine station. For everything you must be able to get a Phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin. Getting them in China is extremely difficult unless you are a registered nursery in the country of origin. Before the quarantine requirement was added, I brought trees back from China when I was there on business, but it got to be so much trouble I stopped. Everything you need to know is available from the APHIS website.

Top Bottom