Has anyone seen the movie The Fountain?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/

Three parallel stories during three time periods set about a thousand years apart, all having to do with the Tree of Life. In the story that is furthest in the future, this guy is taking the tree in some odd bubble-looking spaceship-type-thing to this imploding nebula called Xibalba (or something like that). The tree itself is really a stunning tree, and it was hand-made, of course. I was wondering:

1. Has anyone see this movie and knows what I'm talking about?
2. If so, does anyone agree that it would make a really neat out-of-the-ordinary bonsai?

I think once I get some more experience with bonsai, I may attempt to create a replica.

Here is a picture of the tree, but it's not from a good angle. I'll have to go through the DVD to take my own screen shots since Google isn't returning decent results.

fbub.jpg

Speedy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a/
Haven't even heard of it. I fell in love with the tree on Avatar.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Never heard of the movie either. The tree looks, to some degree, like the ones created by growing seedlings around a wire (?) frame.

Here are some odd shaped trees:

www.siamadenium.com

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sadly the movie didn't get too much publicity or recognition despite its quality -- great story and directed very well. I got the DVD out last night, so I'll take some screen shots today and post them.

I'm not sure how you'd grow something like that, really. It looks like the trunk naturally twists. Is there a species of tree that grows that way?

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did see that movie and it was pretty good.
And the tree was interesting.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One of my favorites by far -- very creative story and it was shot very well. If only he knew that all he had to do for the tree was repot it. It was obviously root-bound in that sphere ;-p

I finally have screen shots. I think it would make for a very interesting bonsai...you'd have to have leaves on it, of course, but you get the idea.

tf3.jpg

tf4.jpg

tf2.jpg

Top Bottom