Has anyone tried ladybugs for pest control?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Diversifying the conversation a bit here, but I don't kill spiders when my kids freak out about one in the house. I catch them and move them to the garden.
I've been having more trouble with grasshoppers this year than aphids, so I was disappointed when the garden shop was out of praying mantis. Spiders - especially wolf spiders and other stalking species - and scorpions are pretty damn good about the job, but a little more pesky to people. Just watch where you put your hands when weeding.

You can go to a store and buy praying mantis, or it's a online store? I want to go to this store. 🤓 Wife can wait in the car, so she doesn't freak out. lol

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can go to a store and buy praying mantis, or it's a online store? I want to go to this store. 🤓 Wife can wait in the car, so she doesn't freak out. lol
A local garden center had them and ladybugs in stock early in the season. Last time I was there I only saw a couple containers of ladybugs left.

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
From what I've read, the ladybugs are much more effective in their larval stage than in their imago stage. The larvae are more hungry and won't fly away. I'm always happy to see them on my plants, and I've noticed they really go after aphids. Never tried ordering them though, but here in NL they are often sold in stores as pest control along with lacewings and nematodes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom