Has anyone tried using ladybugs?

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Found these live ladybugs at Lowe’s today. Just curious if anyone has used these to control scale, spider mites etc. I take it that you can’t be successful with these if you are using pesticides at the same time. Thanks.

Attachments

• C6549F08-CCCD-4A02-823D-50E681236C58.jpeg
    C6549F08-CCCD-4A02-823D-50E681236C58.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 6BA382C8-BCBB-45D1-BC52-942D1C79B86C.jpeg
    6BA382C8-BCBB-45D1-BC52-942D1C79B86C.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 8

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How much $ and how many bugs in the box? The problems with ladybug-mediated control of aphids etc. is it’s challenging to keep them around in high enough density to do the functional work, but if it’s not terribly expensive, roll those dice! I think many of us here would be interested in hearing about your experiences!

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How much $ and how many bugs in the box? The problems with ladybug-mediated control of aphids etc. is it’s challenging to keep them around in high enough density to do the functional work, but if it’s not terribly expensive, roll those dice! I think many of us here would be interested in hearing about your experiences!
Thank you. I have a secluded area where I have some junipers in training pots. I’m thinking of doing a test run on those to see if it’s any good.
Yup. Flew away pretty much immediately.
Haha, makes sense. If there is no food like spider mites or scale, why would they stick around. Your bonsai must be free of pests.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
They need food right away upon release. They need cover to hide from predators. They need moisture.
I would see their release more inline with a huge veggie and flower garden. Cottage garden etc....

I have a night blooming jasmine which is a pest generating machine. Aphids (2), whitefly and mealy bugs pile up on it. The pests get to capacity then the ladybug population explodes. From spring to fall, I have ladybugs and their larva getting pumped out to help the entire garden.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ladybug larvae are pretty awesome.
They do a good job and they're not as mobile as the adults.
We have a huge cherry tree that gets a major aphid rash every year. Then a few weeks later the ladybugs show up in the thousands. They're always too late, but they seem to do a number on the aphids, the larvae are easy to pick up and relocate. I haven't seen them eating anything other than aphids.
Hover fly larvae seem to do a better job but they look like maggots and birds love them. That's the catch.. Those birds will rummage and dig around.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Simply releasing Ladybirdsin your garden is a waste of your time and money as they will simply disperse. They may not even be a native species and may not survive if you buy them off the internet......
Much more effective if released in a controlled enclosed environment eg glasshouse to control aphids as part of an integrated pest control programme

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aphids are the only thing a ladybug can catch.
That's not true. Of course it differs between species (sooner actually eat fungus) but the ones you can buy eat all kinds of small bugs: aphids, caterpillars, leafhoppers etc.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
caterpillars

Maybe caterpillars, but not an infestation, since one can be removed before the....stupid large jungle package comes in.

Maybe a sleeping leafhopper!

Sorce

Pelicano919

Seedling
Reaction score
my wife released several several hundred ladybugs into her vegetable garden and the next morning observed an engourged lizzard on a tomato plant. She remarked she was expecting the lizard to b smoking a cigar.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you find an adult one with a crumpled wing, it means it is a male and has mated.
I used to keep some in jars when I was a kid.
After mating, the female chomps the male's wing to keep him from flying to another girl. :oops:

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've used them on my cannabis (legal state) and my hot peppers and they aren't very effective. As other have said, they mostly just fly away. Even in a greenhouse they all died or flew out within a couple days. They are kind of fun though.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The native ones dont exist anymore. No more red ones, only orange ones now. I have used the larvae I found around our apple trees but they didnt do that much. Rested most of the time.
By comparison, wasps seem more appealing to me now. They need huge amounts of food and will search plants quickly. I havent seen them eat aphids but I guess they would.
I mostly see them eating flies. You can hear them clipping off body parts until they fly away with just the abdomen. Same as hornets do to them, I guess thats the best way to do it lol

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Deja Vu? 😳

Top Bottom