Heal scar or feauture Arakawa

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Uk is a quite big country, and there the maples roll over the holes as well. ;)

Take a look to this one Peter Chan maple that I posted in another thread click,click. That was a big wound closed over the years.

If is heathy the tree will try to grow over the wound, it is said that "nature abhors a vacuum". Another thing is that you like holes and want to get it opened, (We are talking about trees, please don't misunderstand 😂) but I think that is not the Matte91's case, because he is trying to close it.

Cheers.
No he also asked of keeping it a feature ... go back and reread 😉
Ask me how many scarred maples I own?

They roll over in the USA too. 😉 example of natural shari. You are talking to the wrong person there. I've 3 on my bench. With roll over...

😉
example of natural shari and scars on other maples I own. You are talking to the wrong person there. I've 3 on my bench with roll over...URO's are a thing. So I am confused. What makes a URO different when I've a badly scarred maple...and it healed the wound and compartmentalized.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
not a fan of the big hole, however I do like the other one. If this were my tree I would ground layer above the big hole and pray for roots. By the time that big hole heals you will have decent roots on the new layer
I agree I like the other one. We don't use lime sulfur on deciduous though. We use wood hardener. That needed addressed.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maples can close holes, it is only a mater of time AND LET THE PLANT GROW. The more it grow, the fasther the healing.

My shishigashira grafted in standar scion it is on the way.

Arakawa can do the same, and replace the bark, so I wouldn't worry at all!.

IMHO roug bark trees, close better than smoth ones.

You can see this ulmus minor that I planted in the ground in only one season had go fron this

To this

Cheers.
thats good work on yours but its been five years and it still needs another 2-3 to heal that scar and once it heals you will always see it there with the reverse like taper bulge. If you air/ground layer it, you will remove the flaw and have a new nebari with roots in less time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
thats good work on yours but its been five years and it still needs another 2-3 to heal that scar and once it heals you will always see it there with the reverse like taper bulge. If you air/ground layer it, you will remove the flaw and have a new nebari with roots in less time.
I've seen scars heal on maples heal clean. The bulge I don't understand. I've healed smooth scars on my Tim Burton Acer/standard Acer P.

...and I know William Farro has some clean healed wounds. I don't understand the bulge on a maple...Trident can callous over hard though. Maybe it's the cultivar. I know Bill Valavanis said trees that scar over heavy like Trident you tend those wounds in early Fall season. To prevent that callous being so think.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No he also asked of keeping it a feature ... go back and reread 😉

Go back and reread you, my lady, Matte91 asked on Apr 30, 2023, (eight months ago...) and after that he put the putty, starting the close process. So that decision is taken, and your advice, outdated.

Ask me how many scarred maples I own?
This thread is not about you, or me, is about Matte91's arakawa. No matters what anyone like more, but the owner.

I think that there no are such thing like a "wrong person" but certain opinion may be certally wrong.

That poor tree have a lot of faults, and the most problematic is a dieback runing by one side. If I had airlayered it over the graft, maybe I had lost all the tree, so I don't have any hurry. Perharps I'll airlayer it some day, but by now, I prefer to be more careful.
If you like, you can see how it goes in it's thread click,click., and don't mess anymore this thread.

@Matte91 I'm sorry for hickjack your post, I won't do anymore.

Merry Christmas and happy new year for all!

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Go back and reread you, my lady, Matte91 asked on Apr 30, 2023, (eight months ago...) and after that he put the putty, starting the close process. So that decision is taken, and your advice, outdated.

This thread is not about you, or me, is about Matte91's arakawa. No matters what anyone like more, but the owner.

I think that there no are such thing like a "wrong person" but certain opinion may be certally wrong.

That poor tree have a lot of faults, and the most problematic is a dieback runing by one side. If I had airlayered it over the graft, maybe I had lost all the tree, so I don't have any hurry. Perharps I'll airlayer it some day, but by now, I prefer to be more careful.
If you like, you can see how it goes in it's thread click,click., and don't mess anymore this thread.

@Matte91 I'm sorry for hickjack your post, I won't do anymore.

Merry Christmas and happy new year for all!
You're sorry for hijacking his thread. You should be!

I offered solid advice on care of a deciduous maple scars...he has a beauty worth keeping on the backside. Even if he heals the large URO on the other side.

Not everyone has time to read through an entire thread post all days. The main post did ask...and you keep trying to belittle and talk down to me. Check yourself. As a female artist I find it belittling your attitude.

This was never about me. I'm a literal person and I live on facts. I gave facts. I also own Maples with roll over. You told me only in the UK do they roll over. I had facts to prove that statement wrong. I spend my time with ones in the UK because my trees are leaning more and more to what is on their benches. I am clearly going to ones who have years of experience. 40 years to be frank on how to tend my own Maples with scars. It's called vault knowledge when you get it from a good source.

The USA aren't all favorable of deadwood and scars on deciduous. I gave solid advice. Of how ones who see these all the time. Treat them. You told me they don't roll over. That was false. So you hijacked the thread...I left factual information.

You clearly have a problem with me. Because you came at me for leaving solid advice. You are no one to me. I didn't know you before I opened this thread. And you go back to that status. You aren't worth my time. This is a bonsai platform for factual information. I'll continue to leave it. That isn't making a post about me. It's about leaving factual information to allow others to grow.

Top Bottom