Hello form Northest Michigan

PineRiverRustics

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello
I live in Northeast Michigan I’ve recently taken an interest in bonsai. I have yet to grow any but have been doing a lot of reading. I live in a rural area with a lot of forest and potential locations for gathering yamadori . I am also considering purchasing a juniper for the location nursery to give me something to get started with. One thing I am concerned about is the winters can be harsh here with many days in January & February below -0F except this winter, one of the mildest I can recall.

What do some of you in colder regions do to keep your bonsai live?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there -- welcome to the forum!

As for what grows where, it really depends on the species. I live in Grand Rapids and the winters here can be a bit cold. What city are you in? I've been growing a wire variety of stuff, but have recently narrowed it down a bit. I'm growing a lot of Japanese maples, a couple junipers, a couple pines, a fir, a Chinese elm, and a couple Chinese and Japanese quinces. It really depends on what kind of space you have to overwinter your trees. I put most of mine in an unheated garage, and the ones not in the garage are planted in the ground. They all survive and did quite well last year.

In regards to collecting yamadori, that will certainly be a fun thing to do up in those forested regions. I'm jealous! One thing I should say is that you should definitely study and practice root pruning and aftercare before you go collecting. The reason I say this is that when you collect something you think is worth putting time and effort into, you'll want to ensure survival. You have to make sure you're doing it at the right time of year, you're keeping as much root mass as possible, providing a nice area for them to recuperate in, etc. Here's a good video of Walter Pall explaining it:

Part I
Part II

It's a good idea to get some cheap stock from a nursery to experiment on first -- not just root-related stuff, but also things like pruning and styling...but most importantly caring for. You'll also want to study things like what kind of substrate (soil, but not soil...if that makes sense) to use, fertilizing techniques, etc, etc.

Bonsai is a fascinating world. I became interested maybe four years ago and have been hooked ever since. Glad to see some more interest from the Michiganders. :D

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If this is your website, I imagine that you will have absolutely no trouble with carving techniques! Also, if that's you, it looks like you're in Mikado, MI. This shouldn't be too terrible for the species I listed above. Just make sure they're relatively protected in winter and you'll be fine.

PineRiverRustics

Seedling
Reaction score
If this is your website, I imagine that you will have absolutely no trouble with carving techniques! Also, if that's you, it looks like you're in Mikado, MI. This shouldn't be too terrible for the species I listed above. Just make sure they're relatively protected in winter and you'll be fine.

Yes, that's my website and I am in Mikado.

Thank you for for all your advise I watched the Part 1 video by Walter Pall a couple of days ago. I'll check the the part 2 a little later tonight.

I was thinking about going to the Michigan All-State Bonsai Show, Meijer Gardens.

Do you attend this show?
It would be great to meet some more Michiganders and learn more.

Thanks
Joel

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Absolutely -- that show is one of my favorite events of the season...but mostly because that's the best show that I know of around here except for Chicago.

A bunch of great artists go to the All-State show. Don Blackmond of Gregory Beach Bonsai said he goes occasionally, but I'm not sure what his plans are this year. A local of Grand Rapids, Steve Jetzer (I think that's how his name is spelled. . . .) usually displays his trees here and they're absolutely amazing. It's definitely a show worth checking out if you're up for the drive. I know the Chicago shows have been talked up quite a bit, but I've never gone to one.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Welcome! I will be attending the meijer gardens show as well, gathering of the michiganders!
It's great that you're taking an interest in bonsai. The show will be a great place to get some nice stock which I'm sure you will be looking for. If you're ever down in SE MI at the end of the month you should stop by a Ann Arbor bonsai club meeting.

Great carving work by the way. I've got grandparents with a place up north that have been looking for a nice carved piece for the end of their drive way..

PineRiverRustics

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks raydomz

Send your grandparents over I am usually available in the evenings monday-friday and try to open 10-5 sat & sun when I am not doing carving shows or other road trips. It's best to call to verify I'll be around. I alway have a few inventory pieces for sale.

Spoke with my wife about the show and she up for the road trip and sounds interested in the show.

Hopefully I run in to you at the show.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks raydomz

Send your grandparents over I am usually available in the evenings monday-friday and try to open 10-5 sat & sun when I am not doing carving shows or other road trips. It's best to call to verify I'll be around. I alway have a few inventory pieces for sale.

Spoke with my wife about the show and she up for the road trip and sounds interested in the show.

Hopefully I run in to you at the show.

I'll be sure to show them your website next time I talk to them. Thanks for the info!
I think they are heading up soon to open up the place.

The show will be great, always a good turn out and lots of nice trees to look at for inspiration. Its so hard to get an idea of the level of detail on trees while looking at pictures of them. Just like paintings, so much is held in seeing the actual work in person.

PineRiverRustics

Seedling
Reaction score
I did some tool shopping over the weekend.

-Brussel's 7-Inch Wire Cutter Bonsai Tool

-Leaf Trimmer, Joshua Roth Professional

-Joebonsai Bonsai Training Wire | Three Size Combo 4.0 mm (about10feet), 3.0 mm (about17 feet ), and 1.5 mm (about69 feet

-Bonsai Boy's Traditional Beginner Bonsai Shears

-Oriental Touch 8" concave cutter and 8 1/4" knob cutter

Because I can never have enough refer books.
-The Complete Book of Bonsai Harry Tomlinson

This is a start anyway and I figure I will start scouting out trees in the next couple of weeks.

PineRiverRustics

Seedling
Reaction score
whitepine3.jpg
I found a Pinus strobus- White Pine specimen on my property, dug it up and cleaned up the roots.
I planted it in the best materials I coule get my hands on over the weekend.
Orchid Soil (Pine bark, fired clay, Lava Rock…), River Rock, Red Lava rock, Course Sand, Perlite, Miracle-Gro soil.

I planted it Saturday and it’s still alive. If it could survive the clay soil I dug it up from it should thrive in my soil mixture.

Sorry for the sore neck I couldn't the image rotated correctly:(

Joel

PineRiverRustics

Seedling
Reaction score
Well, I found this information on a website.

Pinus strobus - Eastern white pine. (5 needle) Native to our area, and extensively planted as lanscape in Midwest. Hardy zone 2-7, and the most shade tolerant pine. Unfortunately, this is one of the least satisfying pines for bonsai. Needles do not reduce, it does not like to be pruned at all, and it retains a juvenile appearance to the bark until it is literally ancient. It is sensitive to overwatering but not tolerant of underpotting. Key branches may die without reason, spoiling the design

Sounds like I have a challenge.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your cleaning the roots removed the soil, you will doubly challenged. Pines do not like to be barerooted, or have a lot of soil removed from their roots. It can kill them.

Collecting trees is not as easy as digging them up and putting them into containers. It is not really a beginner's sport and it can take a bit of experience to successfully collect. There are many elements to collecting, from species, local conditions and aftercare techniques. You will learn in about two weeks whether the tree you collected will survive.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, they don't make easy bonsai, I've seen a couple of good examples, but I wouldn't want to waste my time... Better to go to the nursery, and get a scotts pine, they make killer bonsai, or mughos....

Shimpaku

Yamadori
Reaction score
Uh oh. I sense the beginnings of a Yamadori Beast Master. Man, do you have the resources. Please post your projects as you learn.

PineRiverRustics

Seedling
Reaction score
If your cleaning the roots removed the soil, you will doubly challenged. Pines do not like to be barerooted, or have a lot of soil removed from their roots. It can kill them.

Collecting trees is not as easy as digging them up and putting them into containers. It is not really a beginner's sport and it can take a bit of experience to successfully collect. There are many elements to collecting, from species, local conditions and aftercare techniques. You will learn in about two weeks whether the tree you collected will survive.

My little pine is still alive. I haven't done anything else with it yet. I am thinking of trying putting a bend in the trunk. I bought a juniper I am going to transplant this weekend.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wait on the bending its more stress on a stressed out tree.
As to your original question, think native plants, if it is in the surrounding landscapes it a good bet it will survive as bonsai. Not all materials lend themselves to bonsai.

Top Bottom