HELP! Advice on how to dig up/transplant/save this Blue Spruce

GroovyGreg

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Z-6
Namaste to all… originally, my father(r.I.p) had this planted in this unfortunate location, now the wife wants it gone. It’s grown into a really interesting form and I’d like to save it by replanting it somewhere else on the property.
Any/all advice is welcomed!D1C22318-31E3-4829-BF9C-7ACE188470AD.jpeg

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not much experience with this here, but seeing no responses I'll give it a go. My understanding is that the best time to dig these up is late winter/early spring (although fall may be possible as well). Water heavily a day or two before the dig. As this is a conifer, some preparation may be needed in respect of the roots well prior to the dig, but this is out of my realm of experience. (I know some will trim around the tree in the prior season). Dig around the drip line and trim back roots. With deciduous trees I simply use something to pry the tree out of the ground. Gently rock the root ball to get under it and wrap in burlap to transport to new site. Dig a new hole for the tree twice the size of the root ball at the new site and plant tree. Fill hole with new soil, ensuring that trunk isn't buried too deep. Keep watered. (have a shot and pray).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would not water in the days before collecting it. Because the mud on the roots will rip the roots apart when moving the plant. It's too heavy.
For all the rest, I agree with @dbonsaiw except for trimming back roots; it's not destined to go into a pot so I'd keep as much roots as possible.

Water heavily afterwards and make sure you fill all pockets in the soil. Then leave it to dry and don't water it heavily again, just moderately. You want the soil to dry a bit in between watering, because those wounds need healing and too much water can cause bacterial blooms, especially in freshly dug soils.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would not water in the days before collecting it. Because the mud on the roots will rip the roots apart when moving the plant. It's too heavy.
For all the rest, I agree with @dbonsaiw except for trimming back roots; it's not destined to go into a pot so I'd keep as much roots as possible.

Water heavily afterwards and make sure you fill all pockets in the soil. Then leave it to dry and don't water it heavily again, just moderately. You want the soil to dry a bit in between watering, because those wounds need healing and too much water can cause bacterial blooms, especially in freshly dug soils.
What he said. I was just stumping until those experience chime in.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Would you use mulch/wood chips on the surface to retain moisture, or does this make it harder to monitor the moisture level.?
Just curious.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, be careful of the underground electrical wires running to the lamp post.
@GroovyGreg Yes…electric underground will need serious attention. Or a gas line if the light post is natural gas. If it gets or looks problematic it’s simply time to cut it down at ground level and let it go. Be very careful again with electrical or gas connections. You really don’t want a bigger problem. Win points with your wife for the elimination of the tree. There’s no points for getting electrocuted. Don’t do something dumb.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@GroovyGreg Yes…electric underground will need serious attention. Or a gas line if the light post is natural gas. If it gets or looks problematic it’s simply time to cut it down at ground level and let it go. Be very careful again with electrical or gas connections. You really don’t want a bigger problem. Win points with your wife for the elimination of the tree. There’s no points for getting electrocuted. Don’t do something dumb.

If you dig around the post with your hands (not something hard and sharp that can cut the wires) you can probably determine which way the wires go. If you don’t know where the wires are, then avoid digging anywhere in the areas between your house, the lamp, and your electrical transformer box.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A tree that size will need a substantial amount of roots to survive transplant. Do not underestimate the size of the hole you need to dig to extract the tree. At least as far out as the canopy and probably 2-3 feet deep to get under to cut down growing roots. (and also allow similar hole to plant it in). That's a lot of digging!
Also allow for the weight. Live wood and leaves is heavy. One person will definitely struggle to move a tree like this even with no soil on the roots. With some soil attached it will be way more than 2 strong men can manage.
I would not attempt to move a tree this size without suitable machine assistance.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A tree that size will need a substantial amount of roots to survive transplant. Do not underestimate the size of the hole you need to dig to extract the tree. At least as far out as the canopy and probably 2-3 feet deep to get under to cut down growing roots. (and also allow similar hole to plant it in). That's a lot of digging!
Also allow for the weight. Live wood and leaves is heavy. One person will definitely struggle to move a tree like this even with no soil on the roots. With some soil attached it will be way more than 2 strong men can manage.
I would not attempt to move a tree this size without suitable machine assistance.

It’s hard to gauge the size of the tree from the photos, but on closer inspection, I’m inclined to agree with Shibui.

Time to air layer.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think for a tree like that 3 guys would make it quick and easy. Dig it out and drag it on a tarp or something to the next spot you want to plant it. The bigger the root ball the better but do what is manageable. Sounds like it’s either move it or death to the tree so might as well try. I think having to figure out underground lines and wires will take the longest and if you have to dig slowly. I think that is a major factor to consider on the worth of moving it.

There are a lot of videos on removing trees it’s pretty straight forward.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to agree with Shibui. This is a pretty big tree to move by hand. You are going to need at least 3-4 big strong young guys to move it by hand.

You should dig the hole its going to first then dig this out but honestly if I really wanted to save that tree, Id pay a professional tree mover with the right equipment and man power to do the job right.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That rootball will easily spread well beyond the lamppost base and will need all those roots to survive. I have tried to dig up similar size pine trees out of my landscape. The rootball is to massive and heavy. The end result was I cut them off below the ground level and just buried the stump. Save yourself all the frustrations and problems. Just cut it down.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got done transplanting four deodar cedar trees. Each of them had a three inch caliper, and we’re about 15 feet tall. So, that tree can definitely be transplanted. There are guidelines on the recommended root ball size, I usually go for about a 1 foot root ball for every 1 inch of trunk about 6 inches above the ground. I think the recommended range, is between 10 and 12 inches. I do not think you will be able to move that tree without equipment to do so. Once my trees were ball and burlapped, a chain and ratchet straps were used to crane the root ball out of the hole using the front in loader of a tractor.

5F72EF55-9B8B-4915-B265-FEBA412DD44E.jpeg

Here is a smaller, eastern hemlock moved in the same way. This tree is significantly smaller than yours, but I was still barely able to move that root ball by hand.

Top Bottom