Help choose a front: Procumbens

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi all -

Just was analyzing this Procumbens juniper and trying to decide on a front. I want to change the planting angle when repotting as seen. Which front do you like best?

120210619_092426.jpg

20210619_092430.jpg

Additionally, I was told you can do a repot even in summer. So long as you work only half of the root mass leaving the other half undisturbed. I'd like to get this tree ready for a show next fall. So accelerating within reason it getting into a pot would help. Any thoughts?

Order of operations as such maybe?
1. Soon - Repot into training pot reducing and combing out half of root ball.
2. Winter - Style tree, full wiring, bends, deadwood work
3. Spring/ Summer - repot other half and put into finish pot

Typing that all out it may be too aggressive...so I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh one note. It seems to be in some super light barely there substrate. When it becomes dry it hardly weighs anything. There is a lot of interior budding so it seems healthy.

Thinking octagonal or square unglazed for finish pot. Maybe 6" by 3". A semi cascade pot even though the tree is sort of a mixed bag stylistically

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Nice tree. I like the first picture better
Me too!

I would jin/shorten that lower left side branch, it's distracting to me. Lowering some of the primary branches on the main trunk might give you a nicer profile.

Wouldn't repot now.

1-Summer expose deadwood, some branch elimination, minor foliage cleaning, pump fertilizer. Find ideal unglazed pot.
2-Winter styling/wiring.
3-Late Winter/ Early Spring 1/2 or 2/3 bare root repot.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea I agree you're probably too late for a repot now.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Both fair and good points! Thanks for the feedback and timing suggestions. I like the plan.

Style wise yeah the intention will be to bring that major left side branch closer to the "main trunk" with a bend and some foliage wiring/reduction. There's two branches there one will be swing back for some dimension.

The primary trunk will have the upper left branch brought down, apex set to right of that. A low right pad brought together and maybe a middle above and slightly to left.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IDK I like the lower left branch personally. I think I would wire a bit more movement into it and not jin it.
I think it accentuates the movement of the trunk personally

I would probably wire more shape the branch that is sticking out toward the viewer and try to get it off to one side, then I would cut all the foliage off and let it die and harden to make a jin from it.

The branch above it right at the bend would be wired for shape but kept moving to the right

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That mass in the first look is a little eye catching, but it could be shadows or fixed with work.

I think half bare rooting is a waste of time.

Still haven't killed a Juniper in full foliage repotting the first full moon after the solstice.

I'd get it into a pot this year, secured well, and style it before growth next spring.

Sorce

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IDK I like the lower left branch personally. I think I would wire a bit more movement into it and not jin it.
I think it accentuates the movement of the trunk personally

I would probably wire more shape the branch that is sticking out toward the viewer and try to get it off to one side, then I would cut all the foliage off and let it die and harden to make a jin from it.

The branch above it right at the bend would be wired for shape but kept moving to the right
I agree with you on the left branch. It's a unique feature of the tree and while maybe problematic we all have those as people. (Owen Wilson's nose comes to mind). Interesting idea with removing that forward facing branch on the right. That was going to be the lowest pad on that side, but it would be somewhat on an island alone down there.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with you on the left branch. It's a unique feature of the tree and while maybe problematic we all have those as people. (Owen Wilson's nose comes to mind). Interesting idea with removing that forward facing branch on the right. That was going to be the lowest pad on that side, but it would be somewhat on an island alone down there.

I would see what you can do with that lower left branch. You can always cut it later if you decide you dont like it.
The lower branch on the right points right at the viewer which is kind of obtrusive

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That mass in the first look is a little eye catching, but it could be shadows or fixed with work.

I think half bare rooting is a waste of time.

Still haven't killed a Juniper in full foliage repotting the first full moon after the solstice.

I'd get it into a pot this year, secured well, and style it before growth next spring.

Sorce
@thatguy I like the 1st pic for the front. When did you get this juniper?
What have you done to it up till now?

I agree with @sorce point on the feet at full Moon or couple days thereafter, just don't prune or thin this year.
I slice 60% off the bottom of the root ball and tease out from inside the core on the bottom, and some radial raking on the top
keeping a nucleus of garden soil in the crown to tend to with subsequent repottings, but getting at the duff on top + a little this time.
Summer repottings just need to watch the feet don't get too hot. Springtime we want all the heat we can get from the Sun
to drive root growth.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@thatguy I like the 1st pic for the front. When did you get this juniper?
What have you done to it up till now?

I agree with @sorce point on the feet at full Moon or couple days thereafter, just don't prune or thin this year.
I slice 60% off the bottom of the root ball and tease out from inside the core on the bottom, and some radial raking on the top
keeping a nucleus of garden soil in the crown to tend to with subsequent repottings, but getting at the duff on top + a little this time.
Summer repottings just need to watch the feet don't get too hot. Springtime we want all the heat we can get from the Sun
to drive root growth.
This was purchased last month from an individual via facebook auctions. So no work has been done other than receiving, watering, fertilizing, and removing old dead growth. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was purchased last month from an individual via facebook auctions. So no work has been done other than receiving, watering, fertilizing, and removing old dead growth. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!
So no history on it.
no work has been done
Not necessarily, but good chance that is correct given the pictures. None you know of anyway.

How well does water pass through the root system?
It appears to be quite heavy on the organics side of the soil end of business.
Is there no aggregate inside the roots besides maybe fine sand? Since we keep foliage prior to potting up
and the soil appears to need the most immediate work, I would not touch the foliage
until after it recovers from potting up with a good amount of aggregate in the pot.
Whether you pot in Summer or Spring April-May. Based on sorces input, you're only a week away from
potting up for the Summer solstice full moon next Thurs. However I would wait till the following full moon.
It's still after Summer solstice, and plenty early enough to put new feet out before hard frosts in NH.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So no history on it.

Not necessarily, but good chance that is correct given the pictures. None you know of anyway.

How well does water pass through the root system?
It appears to be quite heavy on the organics side of the soil end of business.
Is there no aggregate inside the roots besides maybe fine sand? Since we keep foliage prior to potting up
and the soil appears to need the most immediate work, I would not touch the foliage
until after it recovers from potting up with a good amount of aggregate in the pot.
Whether you pot in Summer or Spring April-May. Based on sorces input, you're only a week away from
potting up for the Summer solstice full moon next Thurs. However I would wait till the following full moon.
It's still after Summer solstice, and plenty early enough to put new feet out before hard frosts in NH.
Water drains straight thru. Almost as if it's only roots now and no remaining soil of any type. That's my guess anyway. I have yet to slip it out and look at the bottom but it would not be hard to do given how loose the plastic pot is.

So second full moon. That would give me enough time to source some additional akadama. Only have Aoki shohin mix atm and much larger agg.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So second full moon. That would give me enough time to source some additional akadama
The additional month, with it in full Sun, then as @HENDO said..."pump fertilizer"...
will bank more horsepower to recover. I go a little less hard with Summer repots myself,
but mugo pine we don't cut any slack in Summer, so my approach my just be more cautious
than necessary. I seem to get the most bang for the buck using Alaska Fish Fert 5-1-1
than other fertilizers I use, including MiracleGro.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its your tree so its your decision.
I disagree with summer repotting for anything besides tropicals and mugo pine.
It can work but it is too risky to repot in the middle of the summer heat of July and August with cold weather only a couple of months away in the case of August in NH.
If you are off at all on the after care, the tree will suffer for it
Like I said, your tree, your decision but I advise you to do your own research on it first.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Left trunk is huge +so keep. Summer repotting seems to be losing idea🤪go for late Winter as with normal trees. Much good movement to start here but would advocate more trunk development and forget about any but growing container or ground☺️.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm... Never mind me...

But this is my first time coveting a tree. (I wish I had your climate too, but that's another story!)

Looking at that first view, I see a beautiful balance of grace and ruggedness very much worth preserving. Take your time, maybe look at old Chinese and Japanese landscape paintings -- I hope you'll see what I see, and keep the work subtle.

Lucky, lucky man!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The absolute best time to repot a juniper is when the tips of the branches start to swell with new growth. For juniper that usually happens after pines and maples which start in March where I am. Best time for juniper here is usually some time in late April or May depending on how warm the spring is.

In New Hampshire it will be a tad later, probably late mid to May, again depending on the weather.
Assuming these pictures are from this year. The new growth has already expanded so you are past the ideal time imo.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
idea🤪go for late Winter as with normal trees
This is the time of year I avoid the most to repot as it has lead too often to root damage
due to continuing hard freezes thereafter.

Best time for juniper here is usually some time in late April or May
Most ideal time I agree. Water passing through good it can wait and gain more strength
if kept in full Sun. I still maintain roots 1st, so not a project to work foliage yet.
Not impossible, but not ideal to remove energy prior to a known upcoming insult.

Top Bottom