Help Identifying

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I went to Disney last year and while in the Animal Kingdom over by pandora land I found a couple of seeds. They were samara or helicopter seeds and they were fairly large to me. Mostly based on the red and silver maples and the Japanese maples I'm used to seeing. I don't have a pic of them sorry. But I had them in the fridge for a while then planted at early spring here in the Florida panhandle. So now they both germinated and are growing. They seem good but I just do not know what they may be. Definitely not maple variety. I was thinking maybe ash but I have no idea honestly. Can any of you genius plant tenders help with this. I'm really excited that they are growing and I'm babysitting them cautiously. It qill just be more help if I new the species so I can take better future steps. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210517_072209.jpg
    20210517_072209.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210517_072219.jpg
    20210517_072219.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210517_072233.jpg
    20210517_072233.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 36

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
California Ash...

Actually, that looks more like a tree in the family Fabaceae. However, some ash can have rounded leaflets.

Last edited:

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sold completely on the ash. These young leaves are more rounded and the ash seems more pointy. But maybe it's still too early to tell much. This plant is about 8 inches tall right now and only about 2 months old.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m thinking it’s something in the pea family, Fabaceae. There are several tree species in this family that will have that compound leaf with rounded leaflets. An example is Senna.

The fruits or seed pods of Fabaceae are legumes. When dried out they can have the appearance and be blown on the wind like a samara. An ash samara has a straight wing -is not curved like a maple. Legumes will have several seeds along the body of the pod.

This may be a good resource for nailing it down:

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The seeds weren't elongated like the ash. They looked more like oversized maple samara. About the size of a man's pinky.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmmm...

Tipuana..?
Did it look like this?
View attachment 375288
Yup. Looks like a tipu to me. Cool example of convergent evolution, too.

These grow like crazy. My seedling record in one season is 9 feet from a tipu!

These are also so tough that they plant them in Saudi Arabia.

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh my, TN_Jim I think you might be on it bro. That's almost exactly what it looked like. Are they a larger seed? The pic is mostly spot on and the leaves though much older and hardened off look like a match as well. I will definitely look into that species. Thank you Sir.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh my, TN_Jim I think you might be on it bro. That's almost exactly what it looked like. Are they a larger seed? The pic is mostly spot on and the leaves though much older and hardened off look like a match as well. I will definitely look into that species. Thank you Sir.
Yes, they're big.

Top Bottom