Help me design/refine this shimpaku

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I apologize in advance for the bad pictures.
I acquired this juniper in early spring. It wasn't real vigorous but with full sun and good fertilizer it has responded well. I think I am ready to do a little work on it. I am not looking to take much foliage off right now. Probably mostly wiring. The mix isn't great anymore so repotting is a must. Although it is hard to tell from the pictures the live vein is there, I just need to do a little work on it. Many of you are much more artistic than I am so I am looking for ideas. Anything minor to extreme. Although anything too extreme will have to wait.
Claud

Attachments

• IMG_4005.jpg
    IMG_4005.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 125

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you want to keep it as a semi-cascade?
I think I would like to keep it as a semi-cascade but if you have a better idea I can listen. You are way more experienced than I.

I just turned my computer sideways and I think I see what you are thinking.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just turned my computer sideways and I think I see what you are thinking.

LOL I was going to create a virtual image of exactly that :)

This tree does not feel like a cascade to me. It looks like an informal upright knocked on its side. Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of semi-cascades in the wild that are trees knocked on their side, but I think this tree would present better as an informal upright, slant, or windblown. I'm not talking about a straight vertical trunk, but if you were to play with the idea of bringing the tree upright, with a significant angle to the trunk, you might find you have a lot to work with in terms of training the foliage to support your design.

bring-er-up.jpg

Last edited:

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL I was going to create a virtual image of exactly that :)

This tree does not feel like a cascade to me. It looks like an informal upright knocked on its side. Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of semi-cascades in the wild that are trees knocked on their side, but I think this tree would present better as an informal upright. I'm not talking about a straight vertical trunk, but if you were to play with the idea of bringing the tree upright, with a significant angle to the trunk, you might find you have a lot to work with in terms of training the foliage to support your design.
I am going to really look at that idea. The biggest issue I see are the roots. They are very one sided since it is now a semi-cascade. I will have to wait until repotting to see what I have to work with.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am going to really look at that idea. The biggest issue I see are the roots. They are very one sided since it is now a semi-cascade. I will have to wait until repotting to see what I have to work with.

LOL I apologize - I often start to write a response, and then go into Photoshop to play with an image, and then edit what I just wrote. Check out the angle that I posted. I think it would still support the idea of dead roots sticking into the air, without the trunk dropping below horizontal.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like it! I guess the pot would be much thinner for style. Maybe one of those "broken egg" looking pots?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like it! I guess the pot would be much thinner for style. Maybe one of those "broken egg" looking pots?

That would definitely work :) You have to think in terms of what the foliage mass will look like when you wire it up and crunch it down a little.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As I am drinking beer and looking at this thread, let me expound on why I struggle with the original design as a semi-cascade.

If you look at your tree, all the power comes from the nebari and the lower trunk. This sets the stage for the rest of the design. In your original photo, as a semi-cascade, the trunk is horizontal. It is very static, and makes the tree look artificial and low energy. You could dip it down, but the trunk has a natural upward curve that would fight against it. Rather, dip it up, and the base of the trunk is no longer horizontal, and the trunk curves up like it is naturally reaching for the light.

Last edited:

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I am drinking beer and looking at this thread, let me expound on why I struggle with the original design as a semi-cascade.

If you look at your tree, all the power comes from the nebari and the lower trunk. This sets the stage for the rest of the design. In your original photo, as a semi-cascade, the trunk is horizontal. It is very static, and makes the tree look artificial and low energy. You could dip it down, but the trunk has a natural upward curve that would fight against it. Rather, dip it up, and the base of the trunk is no longer horizontal, and the trunk curves up like it is naturally reaching for the light.
Thanks for the explanation. I see what you are saying even more so now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Repot in a little larger colorful pot...because of the foilage arrangement it should be an informal upright with a small amount of lean to the right...the trunk is an absolute benefit to the Shimpaku & should be emphized...If to remain as a Cascade the left side foilage needs to be removed or extremely wired to the right and down...a beautiful Shimpaku...

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Repot in a little larger colorful pot...because of the foilage arrangement it should be an informal upright with a small amount of lean to the right...the trunk is an absolute benefit to the Shimpaku & should be emphized...If to remain as a Cascade the left side foilage needs to be removed or extremely wired to the right and down...a beautiful Shimpaku...
Thanks Bolero, that is the plan. Once B Nut mentioned the tilt it became obvious to me. I am much better at growing vs the artistic side of bonsai. I am looking for the right pot now. My thinking is some sort of "shell" pot.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool tree Claud! where did you get it?
Plant City. If you have not been there you should go. It is about 45-60 minutes north of the middle of Atlanta in Clermont. This tree was styled by someone else a while back but hadn't been worked in some time. It had also gotten weak. It is now a strong vibrant green. The soil is old so it has to be re potted this spring.

Reactions: Rid

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is an update on the tree. First, my camera is an old iPhone....and the operator isn't so young either, so these are not great pics. It was also spur of the moment. I repotted this tree 3 weeks ago and just pulled it out of it's recovery area. I really like Bnut's idea - take it from a cascade to an informal upright. I had to cut a lot more roots off than I wanted it seems to have come through ok. I think the final plan may be a little more upright but I see a lot more potential now vs before. Maybe later in the summer I can work on the live vein and deadwood. Maybe if Adair is doing a workshop at Plant City I will bring it or the one in the background.
shimp1.jpgshimp3.jpgshimp2.jpg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Big ups @coachspinks

accentuate the balancing deadwood?

that twist is compelling
I think I know what you mean. I am excited to work not the live vein in the dead wood but I want it to recover more. This tree was originally styled by someone a lot better than I and I feel an obligation to ensure it survives.

Top Bottom