Help me with my baby Flame Tree!!

Afish444

Seed
Reaction score
I started growing this Flame Tree from a seed back in January. It’s grown pretty tall but the lowest leaves/branches keep turning yellow and falling off. It keeps growing taller and new growth is happening and that’s normally when the lowest branch starts to die. At one point I had four full branches with leaves but over the last couple of months only 2 branches will stay at a time. I have checked it for root rot, repotted it with a mixture of organic soil and a premium purpose blend with rocks and stuff. I use liquid fertilizer once every few waterings. I keep it in a south facing window during the day (I live in South Florida) I’ve been doing some research and it said it still may not be getting enough sun so I put it outside yesterday for about 5 hours and then brought it inside at night. Most of the leaves on the bottom branches fell off this morning. Not sure if I need more water, less water, more sun, less sun, different soil, etc. Is this a seasonal thing with this type of bonsai? A lot of information contradicts itself. I bought a moisture meter to help me better understand when I need to water it and that will arrive today. I would love for this plant to eventually look like the pictures I’ve seen when they are fully grown and I don’t want this to die! Please help :) IMG_5236.jpegIMG_5235.jpegIMG_5234.jpegIMG_4429.jpegIMG_1676.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What you called branches are actually compound leaves. In the fall, when temperatures at night start dipping below 50 deg F, the leaves start to turn yellow and drop. By winter, all the leaves will drop. Since your tree is young, it will be reduced to a stick. Keep it outside when night time temperatures are above 50 deg F. Once it gets cooler, move it inside and protect it from frost/freeze. It is dicey with young tree such as this but your tree likely will come back and start to grow again when it gets warmer.
Or you can bring it inside and set up grow light to keep it growing through the winter. Being a tropical, the flame tree does not need to be dormant.

Afish444

Seed
Reaction score
What you called branches are actually compound leaves. In the fall, when temperatures at night start dipping below 50 deg F, the leaves start to turn yellow and drop. By winter, all the leaves will drop. Since your tree is young, it will be reduced to a stick. Keep it outside when night time temperatures are above 50 deg F. Once it gets cooler, move it inside and protect it from frost/freeze. It is dicey with young tree such as this but your tree likely will come back and start to grow again when it gets warmer.
Or you can bring it inside and set up grow light to keep it growing through the winter. Being a tropical, the flame tree does not need to be dormant.
Thank you! Do you keep the grow light on it at all times?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you! Do you keep the grow light on it at all times?
Around 12 hours/day.
BTW you may want to indicate your grow zone in your profile so we can adjust our advice to your location.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Will do. I live in South Florida
South Florida such as Tampa or Orlando are in zone 10. Flame tree can grow outdoor in that zone. You probably just need to protect it this winter but as it grows bigger, you may not need to do that.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I germinated my seeds outside in partial sun and moved them to full sun right after they got their first true leaf. They do not like to go in and out of the air conditioning. If you're in zone 10 they should be outside all the time.

Top Bottom