help my shimpys

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
they were pre-bonsai stock that I put in cedar boxes 4-6 weeks ago. they've been doing great untill last week I started noticing more yellow & dry branches. The yellowing is from the inside out. If you stand back each tuft of green gradually fades from yellow to greeen, inside to outside. I've been cautious about not fertalizing untill well established. Now I'm afraid to fert. a sick plant. I've only given Superthrive twice, once when transplanted, & once recently. I just sprayed w/ a half-strength fert. last night. Any opinions on Superthrive?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some yellowing of inner foliage is normal for shimpakus, especially if they have a lot of thick foliage on the tips. The question is, is the outer foliage a rich, dark green, and are you seeing new growing tips that would be a light yellow-green extending beyond the profile? If so, your trees probably just need to be thinned out a bit. Now would not be so good a time, since you just put them in the boxes, but this fall or late winter you should look at thinning them and wiring. Of course, a quality photograph would go a long way to finding out the truth.

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
my concern is because two other shimps are not displaying this yeller. And yes there is plenty of bright green tips, I just don't want them to turn all yellow. What about fert? Any experience w/ Superthrive?

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
koyote1,

Chris's request for photos is a good one. Seeing the symptoms will help determine the cause. Otherwise, any advise you receive would be almost speculation. Of course, even with photos, it can still be speculation.

Regards,
Martin

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd go ahead and use the superthrive, there's no PROOF it will kill your trees! Just kidding, if you have any, pour it in the toilet. IMNSHO.

Six weeks is more than enough recuperation time for your trees. Go ahead and fertilize. If you can't find organic fertilizer cakes (you can get them through almost any online retailer), use some osmocote just over the surface, and perhaps some fish emulsion (diluted--just make sure you don't have raccoons or squirrels!) once a week or twice a month.

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OK here's some pics. Now could you kind folks please give me some advice?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks perfectly healthy to me, just a few needles that are shaded out. You can just pull them off, but I wouldn't be messing with the trees until they have established themselves pretty well in the boxes.

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have removed a handfull of yellow over the last few days. I wouldn't be concerned if my other 2 looked the same, but they don't. Those are lush & were transplanted at the same time.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Koyote, I wouldn't be to worried. When shimps are wired , transplanted you have some die off. My guess is that this maybe previous years growth and its dieing off as the shimp expands. The fact that your others aren't showing maybe a matter of timing, light conditions on the inner branches differing from one to another. This all should stabilize in short order...don't panic, your shimps look pretty healthy :)

A side bar: Superthrive, it may or may not work. I personally don't use it anymore. If it bolsters your confidence then use it. Tonics in the bonsai field are much like a fisherman that likes to use a certain lure. He may have another in his box that will catch the same fish. However, that one lure he had a positive experience with so he uses it time and time again. Making his confidence level higher and with that is willing to have more patience waiting for the fish to strike. So if it makes you feel good then use it, just don't substitute it for good horticultural practice.

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks to all. This was my first post and you've been a great help. I've acvtually posted some other q's in other areas. Looking forward to your responses. This is more fun than I thought.

Top Bottom