Help - Terribly Nervous

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all. I am perturbed; my bonsai is showing some weird signs. First of all, some of the needles are fading green. A few couple are browning. I then decided to scratch a branch, and it turned out green and smelling of juniper; but then I decided to scratch the base trunk, and it turned out whiteish-pink. Does this mean it isn't healthy? Please, I have had it for 2 years now, and I don't want it to die. :'(

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pictures will probably help, at least you'll get more answers. I don't have any juni's, so I'm not going to be much help, but I do know that they are sometimes dead by the time the browning occurs.
If you have green under the bark, that is a good sign. Could be that the area of the lower trunk you scratched is a dead spot. What kind of soil is this in? Where do you keep it? Where do you live?
To get any reasonable helpful replies, you'll have to give out more info and perhaps a photo.

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
Pictures :D

Here are all the pictures. I would like to say that, since this is winter, I kept it inside for about 3-4 months because it was generally 20-40 degrees F, and would sleet. But this is the first day it is out and it is 50-60 degrees today.

Attachments

• DSC01024.jpg
    DSC01024.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01022.jpg
    DSC01022.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01025.jpg
    DSC01025.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 61

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here are all the pictures. I would like to say that, since this is winter, I kept it inside for about 3-4 months because it was generally 20-40 degrees F, and would sleet. But this is the first day it is out and it is 50-60 degrees today.

I'm not a Juniper guy, but I will say that keeping it indoors was a very bad idea. Junipers can easily handle 20-40 F and sleet. That may be part of your problem.

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
All right. Do you think he is healthy enough looking at least? And do you think he will survive what I did?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it looks pretty healthy. Junipers do change color a bit when not in full growth mode. Those tips look like they are about push out some growth. Keep it outside and let it soak up some sun!!

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
To answer your question about the cambial tissue at the trunk being whitish pink, that is normal

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And if it does make it, don't bring it inside next winter. Read up on winter protection outdoors, and come up with a scheme you can be comfortable with. That tree won't live if you keep bringing it in for the winter. And update your profile please so we know where in the world you are.

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
To answer your question about the cambial tissue at the trunk being whitish pink, that is normal

Alright. Thanks man. But could you tell me why? It looked healthy to my ignorant eyes, but then I heard it was bad; so thank you.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
All right. Do you think he is healthy enough looking at least? And do you think he will survive what I did?

Probably, this time, continue treating a tree like its a kid and it usually ends in failure. These are hardy, and need the cold outdoors, your kitchen is very hostile environment for it.

Top Bottom