Help with identifying this leaf/tree.

CooperT

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
On my walks between buildings I keep noticing this tree. Small leaves, short internodes, rough mature bark. Here is a leaf from the tree:

Photo_091109_002.jpg

Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is and if it would make a good bonsai and if a cutting or air layer would work as I don't see any seedlings, but haven't looked around closely. There are about 4 or 5 large (10+ ft or more) trees of this variety along the edge of the hill.

Thanks,

Tim

CooperT

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not that I can see. But from looking at some pictures of Hawthorn leaves, this does look like it could be. I'll take a closer look on my walk back down. Wish I had my digital camera to take better pictures.

Last edited:

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sure looks like hawthorn to me. Another possibility is some variety of crabapple, but hawthorn is my first opinion.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a hawthorn--probably an ornamental crataegus laevigata

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crataegus_laevigata

They make excellent bonsai, but since this variety isn't a native plant to your area, the plant you're looking at is a planted ornamental and most likely belongs to someone (either the building owner, or property owner). Before doing anything to it, you should ask them for permission.

Now isn't the time to make air layers. Spring is ideal for any work on this.

CooperT

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the info guys!

It's on a hillside along a road among a small forest of brush and other trees. Either belongs to the city of the hospital nearby... Must have found it's way here from the neighborhood via air or bird.

I know now isn't a good time for air layering, just wondering if it would air layer in general.

Thanks again!

Tim

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
On my walks between buildings I keep noticing this tree. Small leaves, short internodes, rough mature bark.........Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is and if it would make a good bonsai

Tim

Tim this isn't really directed at you, but this statement is a common mantra heard to often.

In your description of this tree, you described all great attributes of a potential bonsai ..... so what difference does it make what type of tree it is? Its good collectible material for your purposes, providing you have permission. Collect, or propagate if you have permission...worry about its species later. :)

CooperT

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I guess the main reason I wanted to know what it was for care, time to propagate, etc. But I agree and as Nike used to say "Just do it!". :)

Tim this isn't really directed at you, but this statement is a common mantra heard to often.

In your description of this tree, you described all great attributes of a potential bonsai ..... so what difference does it make what type of tree it is? Its good collectible material for your purposes, providing you have permission. Collect, or propagate if you have permission...worry about its species later. :)

Top Bottom