Hollow Trunk Satsuki

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is the progression of my unique hollow trunk satsuki.

This is what happens when you don't seal a cut on the top of an azalea and water rots the center of the trunk out. All the rotted wood has been carved out.

Disclaimer: This tree has been grown in 100% kanuma, with a thin layer of yamagoki moss on the top of the soil.

1st pic - I purchased this tree from Dave Kreutz in the Summer of 2009.

2nd pic - After fall cleanup of the tree in Fall 2009.

I was very unsatisfied with the branching on this tree. It didn't seem balanced to me, so I started it over from scratch, cutting of everything back to the trunk in the Spring of 2010.

3rd & 4th pic - Taken in the Fall of 2010. I selected the shoots I thought were best and wired them to get some movement going.

Attachments

• 100_2880-1.jpg
    100_2880-1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_4457.JPG.jpg
    100_4457.JPG.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMGP3352.JPG
    IMGP3352.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMGP3353.JPG
    IMGP3353.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 107

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
5th pic - Taken in Summer 2012, the branching is starting to develop with lots of patient and careful work

6th & 7th - The tree was cut back severely in the summer of 2014

Attachments

• IMGP1325.jpg
    IMGP1325.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMGP3206.jpg
    IMGP3206.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMGP3207.jpg
    IMGP3207.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 104

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
8th & 9th pics - The tree was wired, brushed, and cleaned up for the fall last weekend by my dad and Dave Kreutz. I'm really happy with how this tree is progressing. I think I'll be ready to show it in a couple more years.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 100

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh, and the variety is Eikan, which has large flowers. It's currently in a Sara Rayner pot for growing purposes only.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work.
Real nice.

What is it like to be away from it?
I don't know if I could bear it!

Sorce

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice work.
Real nice.

What is it like to be away from it?
I don't know if I could bear it!

Sorce

Not fun! My dad (President of the Bonsai Society of St. Louis) keeps them all growing strong while I'm away. The majority of my trees reside in St. Louis with him, and I go home to help work them a few times a year. I have a couple trees that I keep with John Kirby, which somewhat gives me my fix while I'm in Connecticut.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I remember this tree from the original thread created on it years ago. It's looking good! Funny, I've got a Satsuki, unknown variety but I suspect it's either 'Kaho' or 'Eikan',that also has a hollow trunk.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Andrew, Great tree, good work.

You wrote: "8th & 9th pics - The tree was wired, brushed, and cleaned up for the fall..."

What do you mean by brushed? Thanks

Augustine

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Andrew, Great tree, good work.

You wrote: "8th & 9th pics - The tree was wired, brushed, and cleaned up for the fall..."

What do you mean by brushed? Thanks

Augustine

I brush the trunks on all my Satsuki. What this does is make them really smooth and brings out bright colors in the bark. In Japan, the majority of the Satsuki people do this, but some do not. Depends on what you like.

It does have minor health benefit. It destroys potential places that pests could hide and nest in.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I brush the trunks on all my Satsuki. What this does is make them really smooth and brings out bright colors in the bark. In Japan, the majority of the Satsuki people do this, but some do not. Depends on what you like.

It does have minor health benefit. It destroys potential places that pests could hide and nest in.
If I'm not mistaken, it may also help adventitious buds to pop where you want them to by exposing them to the sunlight. I've used the technique with that in mind. So far, only mixed results.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, it may also help adventitious buds to pop where you want them to by exposing them to the sunlight. I've used the technique with that in mind. So far, only mixed results.
In my experience, this is only the case on a tree that hasn't been brushed much before.

Top Bottom