Hollywood Juniper

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Does anyone have experience with this cultivar of Juniper? There is a old Hollywood Juniper at a nursery I look for bonsai material. It’s in the ground and the top has been chopped off for 15 years according to the owner. He doesn’t want his people digging it so he said I can just take it if I dig it up. I told him I won’t dig it till spring and he was cool with that. I’ll put in a wooden box with Pumice and not touch it for a season or two. Unless is this different for digging from ground vs. in nature ? Or is it the same principle. It has good potential and a fat trunk. I figured I’d do some deadwood carving at top to make it look gnarly. Then do a pyramidal design with the remaining foliage. Bringing the bar branches around and bending to make the traditional Japanese design with some erupts wiring / raffia and tie downs.Thoughts?
On a side note taking a trip to another tree farm that grows Engelmann Spruce, Black Hills Spruce and JBP! 5 minutes from me , who woulda known

Attachments

• C4992621-E080-42A3-8721-C846C32AB203.jpeg
    C4992621-E080-42A3-8721-C846C32AB203.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 93

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hollywood juniper I thought was scale type growth, like robusta. The picture here appears needle type.
Hollywood juniper, in ground waste no time putting on both girth and height.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hollywood juniper I thought was scale type growth, like robusta. The picture here appears needle type.
Hollywood juniper, in ground waste no time putting on both girth and height.
Yeah this will be dug in spring then sit for 2 seasons. It has deadwood potential and the branches seem decent to get some pad development down the line.

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
Take your shovel and root prune it now to prepare for digging next spring

Top Bottom