Hornbeam

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's a Hornbeam I recently acquired. It came wrapped in burlap, so I did a bit of root trimming and potted it up in this Bokeno pot.

DSC_0292.jpg
Close up of the trunk.

DSC_0295.jpg
Its about to bloom.
DSC_0300.jpg
Kid for scale.

DSC_0293.jpg

I don't have a ton of Hornbeam experience, so any thoughts, suggestions or resources is always appreciated.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gdy,
Great looking kid. Nice work there.
The tree has potential but I would air-layer that odd top off of it.
Then chop the trunk above tbe first branch on tbe right, and remove the small left branch.
Im not sure that the left branch isnt too fat to keep.
TWO trees!
CW

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should at least chase that low branch back to the first twig, and hope it pops a bud back closer to the trunk as it's too straight now. The great thing about hornbeams are the quirky branch movement they grow. Air layering looks like a possibility for this, I think the top is almost more interesting as a tree than the bottom. Cool pot and stand... kid included???

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gdy,
Great looking kid. Nice work there.
The tree has potential but I would air-layer that odd top off of it.
Then chop the trunk above tbe first branch on tbe right, and remove the small left branch.
Im not sure that the left branch isnt too fat to keep.
TWO trees!
CW

Agreed. I see an air layer in the future.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should at least chase that low branch back to the first twig, and hope it pops a bud back closer to the trunk as it's too straight now. The great thing about hornbeams are the quirky branch movement they grow. Air layering looks like a possibility for this, I think the top is almost more interesting as a tree than the bottom. Cool pot and stand... kid included???

Yes, kid included;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see an airlayer in the past.

And another with some follow thru in the future!

It's worth trying to long game the base.

Nice pot!

Sorce

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn’t do anything to this tree for a year. Just watered and fertilized. This spring I re potted, but didn’t do a lot root work. The roots on this tree are great. Here’s the tree before work: A29B29A8-502F-4E6B-B3D8-138EEBB11462.jpeg

It continues to have a funky top. It’s growing very strong, so I decided to air layer. B0B5F111-E305-400C-B607-8A4CCE420851.jpegB2086474-7EA6-47F8-999B-1843869C5769.jpeg

I’ll continue to update this post with progress. Here’s hoping two shohin hornbeams are soon to come.

Top Bottom