How do you get a giant sequoia to go dormant

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for all of the help, I didn’t really know when or how to get my sequoia to go into dormancy. But now I know what to do when fall comes around and the days get shorter. You guys are the best.
Stay in touch! We'd love to see what happens.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know a guy in Windsor, Ontario who has had one for years that he overwinters in an attached garage that doesn't freeze. When I first saw it I couldn't ID it because they just look like any spruce/fir.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are at the beginning of your journey with these trees, so before you start telling me I'm wrong, let's see if you still have them 25 years from now. BTW that die back is telling you something about the future...

I never once said you were wrong.

Fake internet points and membership time on this forum not withstanding: I left behind a large portion of my collection 10 years ago as part of a move out of the country into the suburbs...I only started beefing up my collection again about 3 years ago in anticipation of a move back we hope to make next spring. I do, however, have several specimen in my collection aproaching or just over 30 years in my personal care. But sure, let's talk about these specific trees again in 25...

...and yes, the dieback is telling me something. I even stated what it's telling me. It's telling me the tree dehydrated. Browning and brittle
branches from the bottom of the tree up is a classic sign of dehydration in sequoia. Why was it dehydrating? I said that too. We stayed below 0F here in February for almost a week solid. Had I kept these trees outside, they'd be dead. Even in my unheated garage, the rootball froze for a time. The humidity at 0F is practically zero. Physics. Evergreens transpire year round. Frozen roots can't intake water. I happened to be out of town that week or they would have come into the house for a few days the cold was so extreme. These trees are too young for those conditions.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm agreeing with you. But I resent the insinuation that I'm a young punk who doesn't know shit. If you really feel that way...put me on ignore.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please help I’m very dumb and new to bonsai

Here is a good site about sequoia and sequoia care.

It has a gallery of sequoia throughout the world. I don't know how it is updated, but there are some trees listed in Pennsylvania. Maybe one is close to you?

It is rather impressive how adaptable the species is.

Do note that mature trees in the ground can handle much harsher conditions than young trees in pots ;)

Top Bottom