How to get collecting permits in california?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Can anyone guide me in the right direction to get a collecting permit in California? As far as I can tell there is no easy way to get one without lying and saying it's for "research".

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard some people have been successful. I have not. Sorry it's tough. I've had more success with private land owners.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I've heard some people have been successful. I have not. Sorry it's tough. I've had more success with private land owners.
My brother lets me take trees from his property. But yeah the process in Cali seems pretty thorough. Need to come up with some bonsai science project

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BLM land is the most permissive for rules and regulations.

For the National Forest system, you’re looking to get a “Special Forest Products” permit that covers “transplants.” It’s up to your own ethics and morals, but a “Christmas Tree” permit could philosophically cover this if you’re willing to test your luck.

Collection of “transplants” in California’s National Forest varies wildly by ranger district. Some will fully prohibit it, others will allow it for certain species in certain areas under a certain height. You have to ask by individual ranger districts. Now is a decent time of the year to do this as you’ll be more likely to talk with seasoned staff who understand the rules in more detail.

The terminology is very precise — only the Special Forest Products permit covers this use and it’s the same permit class that is used for mushrooms, berries, poles, boughs, and burls. What each ranger district allows to be collected and the times of the year when collection is allowed are also variables. (Some of these districts’ restrictions are to safeguard treaty rights for Native Americans.)

The Tahoe National Forest website, for example, includes “Transplants” when discussing the “Special Forest Products” permits but the Sierra National Forest website seems to not have consideration for “Transplants” under that permit type.

Make some phone calls. Don’t bother trying to explain bonsai. Just explain you’re an avid outdoors person who is hoping to do some native landscaping on the cheap for your own yard (noncommercial purposes!). Be clear that you’re looking to comply with the guidelines and rules.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BLM land is the most permissive for rules and regulations.

For the National Forest system, you’re looking to get a “Special Forest Products” permit that covers “transplants.” It’s up to your own ethics and morals, but a “Christmas Tree” permit could philosophically cover this if you’re willing to test your luck.

Collection of “transplants” in California’s National Forest varies wildly by ranger district. Some will fully prohibit it, others will allow it for certain species in certain areas under a certain height. You have to ask by individual ranger districts. Now is a decent time of the year to do this as you’ll be more likely to talk with seasoned staff who understand the rules in more detail.

The terminology is very precise — only the Special Forest Products permit covers this use and it’s the same permit class that is used for mushrooms, berries, poles, boughs, and burls. What each ranger district allows to be collected and the times of the year when collection is allowed are also variables. (Some of these districts’ restrictions are to safeguard treaty rights for Native Americans.)

The Tahoe National Forest website, for example, includes “Transplants” when discussing the “Special Forest Products” permits but the Sierra National Forest website seems to not have consideration for “Transplants” under that permit type.

Make some phone calls. Don’t bother trying to explain bonsai. Just explain you’re an avid outdoors person who is hoping to do some native landscaping on the cheap for your own yard (noncommercial purposes!). Be clear that you’re looking to comply with the guidelines and rules.
Pretty thorough. Might be definitive for all you Cali collectors.👍

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You just gotta say it's value is less than $900 yeah?

Just take it!

Sorce
Uh, WTF? No. THe "Just take it" attitude is dimwitted, selfish and mostly the territory of bottom-feeding thieves...This kind of smash and grab crap hurts other collectors and bonsai as a whole. Cut the shit.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just taking the opportunity to make, "the Marxists are winning" hit home.

Of course balance won't come from doing the same.

Balance at the Ballot, Elder should have won!

Elderberry, this has nothing to do with politics.😉

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just taking the opportunity to make, "the Marxists are winning" hit home.

Of course balance won't come from doing the same.

Balance at the Ballot, Elder should have won!

Elderberry, this has nothing to do with politics.😉

Sorce
What's the frequency Kenneth?

Top Bottom