I created websites for trying pots on your bonsai and drawing foliage designs

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice work so far! Thank you for sharing and taking the time to develop. Would it be possible to add rotation control to uploaded photos?
Cheers for the feedback! Was the rotation you need for the trypotsonline or the bonsaidesigner?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Does it flame burn bonsai ?

might needed to ask the admin to sticky this topic with you own title

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can I take a photograph of my existing bonsai ( JPEG ) and modify using the program

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Can I take a photograph of my existing bonsai ( JPEG ) and modify using the program
Yep, you can click the upload button (circled in red) then choose from the menu (circled in green) to either take a photo then and there or select files for ones you have already taken.

uploadExample.jpg

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ahh yes, i've had a bit of a more in-depth play with it and found both the different foliage types and the pot scale/position features - being a Millennial I was expecting to be able to drag the pot to position but it works fine with the X/Y axis! It really is a great concept and i love it!

I think a great feature would be the ability to use an 'eraser' to a) remove branches, as mentioned previously, and b) to remove the visible bits of the old pot when trying a new pot. Sounds easy, right?, but I bet it's not, as you'd have to factor in generating/blending in a matching background - something i know nothing about!
At this stage I would be looking at view different brands of Bonsai toolset ( sort of like a dictionary for the bonsai user )
Questions get all the time ( if you could show different sets etc )

also could you add Brazilian Raintree (probably should do this one first )
1665403555880.png
V1.2 of BonsaiDesigner is out! I have added more species foliage and the ability to draw with any color. This means you can paint out backgrounds and sketch non-foliage plans like cuts or branches.

Here is the link again: https://thebonsaiproject.com/bonsaidesigner/

Stay tuned, there will be a new tool released at the end of the month!

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been watching this thread, but haven't actually tried it out for fear that it will distract me from more responsible activities.
I could spend a few hours just trying to figure out ONE tree I have.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
I could spend a few hours just trying to figure out ONE tree I have.
This sounds oddly like when I tell my partner I'm not buying another tree I'm just going to "look" haha

I appreciate you trying it out, let me know what you find doesn't work well or if you have any ideas.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Got something a little bit whacky!
Link: The Bonsai Project | Composer

What is it? I dunno, yet. This was a step in a road towards looking at adding branches in Bonsai Designer or being able to map you tree and generate possible design ideas (trunk movement, branch placement, etc).

Either way I found this strangely satisfying. Let me know if you do too! I will be adding stuff, so the tree's turn out more bonsai-like and the ability to adjust more parameters.

Other projects: The Bonsai Project

View attachment Untitled video.mp4

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
🌳
🌲
🌳
Bonsai Designer V3
🌳
🌲
🌳

- Branch drawing
- Automatic taper
- Quick resize brush

Alongside foliage you can now draw tapered and textured branches. I hated changing brush sizes, especially on mobile. So now, if you are drawing branches it will automatically taper, and if you want to quickly resize you can just click on a branch. The textures help by not having to use solid colours which I found less distracting for designing. Also, fixed a bug where foliage started disappearing.

Going to look into background and foreground drawing to add important depth to designs. Have fun!

Attachments

• v3Release.mp4
    4.2 MB

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
reddit_andorid_app.png
Updates and new tools are now on Android and easier to access. The first non-experiment should be here in the coming months. I found it quite annoying having to go through the web. Now it's easier to open and you can switch between tools in a single click. It will be up to date with any new tools.

Link: The Bonsai Project - Apps on Google Play

The first non-experimental tool and hopefully most useful tool will be released in the coming months. My friends and I have found it super useful and @ShadyStump will find it irresistible I guarantee. 😅

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 474135
Updates and new tools are now on Android and easier to access. The first non-experiment should be here in the coming months. I found it quite annoying having to go through the web. Now it's easier to open and you can switch between tools in a single click. It will be up to date with any new tools.

The first non-experimental tool and hopefully most useful tool will be released in the coming months. My friends and I have found it super useful and @ShadyStump will find it irresistible I guarantee. 😅
Ok, ok, ok!
Let me go take a pic or two.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 474135

This is a great tool. Thank you for creating this, I have been looking for something like this!

So, I found a few issues. A lot of this could be user error. Before i say anything, please know, I have worked as an engineer/analyst ( python/postgres/looker) and am currently a technical manager - I mean criticism to be constructive, not rude. :)

- When I go to create a branch, the branch appears in the dom higher and slightly to the left of where I put my finger on the screen. It is consistent but if you zoom, the distance will scale in proportion (meaning potentially even farther away)

- the size icon slider is not clear enough. The smaller size should be even smaller to establish a greater contrast.

- the screen is jittery? I suspect you are aware of this.

- my tree disappears when I zoom too much. This could be me, but sometimes my tree disappears and I am not sure why. It is just a blank white screen. I can still add branches and such. I thought that maybe I zoomed out and my tree was like 1 pixel but I don't think that is the case. Even on full zoom out, you can still see the foliage so it tells me my tree has moved (out of screen left/right?) or has dissapeared. It still asks if I want to leave which indicates my tree is somewhere on the page.

- I really like the last tab where you can get inspiration on designs. It would be a valuable to be able to click forward instead of the auto-populate. Maybe there could be a button [explore] that would take it off auto populate. Then have <- -> ?

I am on an older Samsung galaxy.

Really great app. I am looking forward to using this.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I FINALLY tried it out tonight.
I noticed some of the same things that @JackHammer mentioned already, though it was getting time to tuck my youngest 2 into bed, and, well, priorities, people. Didn't get more than a few minutes before it was time to switch gears.

Number one thing, as already mentioned, everything starts above and left of where your finger is. Branches, foliage, all of it

Number two: the auto-tapering action when drawing branches needs a control to manually adjust the extremity of taper.
It seems like there's a function for increasing girth the longer you hold your finger down, or the slower you go; or did I just imagine that amidst the rugrat distractions? If it's a thing, a manual control would still be nice. If it's not a thing and just in my head, it could be a thing.

I need to get some pics of other trees when the snow is off them, and really put it through it's paces. So far, though, I absolutely love the usefulness of this. I foresee many a wasted hour in my future.

Top Bottom