I don't like yew.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also those "pop eye" you could try to use a wood drill and drill them out a bit should work buy the cheap ones at action they work just fine and no big deal if they break !

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Also those "pop eye" you could try to use a wood drill and drill them out a bit should work buy the cheap ones at action they work just fine and no big deal if they break !
If you don't force the tool you are not likely to break it. If you find yourself thinking;" Just a little more leverage and abit more push the tool is going to break.

Reaction score
Bonsai dangerous hobby, better take a upgrade on my insurance policy. What i have learned in those 7 year doing bonsai. Think twice and be gentle.
I'm using tools that Will say's those work nice and smooth. Like carving is a hobby inside a hobby. There are story's of people really get hurt using power tools, hand carving the same story. Is there a thread on witch carving tool you should use and why?
IMG_7866.JPG

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice !
Ill finish my yew i got from yew over 2 weeks started working on it but the work was stalled because our son got realy sick

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope he is fine now. Somethings in live are more important as bonsai.
Agreed!
Yes finaly this week we had good news he had a brain infection (hersenvlies ontsteking)
Lost his abbility to hear as well his balance abillity organs are damaged
Miracale happend his ears work good again against all nature and the doctors call it a miracale the balance is something he will have to learn to adjust and doctors think it will be fine in the end but the little one sure had to fight for his live and we are so greatfull hes still with us family first bonsai seccond!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Heavy things, Dennis. I had a braintumor when i was 10. i have 35 stitches on my head.

Thats bad dude hope the only braindamage you will encounter for the future will be caused by bonsai ;) sorry for the strange way of changing subject of your repotting plans back on topic now!

Looking forward to the repot of the dog to yew!

Random User

Reaction score
There is good reason it was the preferred wood for English longbows (Wych Elm being the other)... I always wanted to make one, but am in the wrong part of the world to be able to select from choice stock.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is good reason it was the preferred wood for English longbows (Wych Elm being the other)... I always wanted to make one, but am in the wrong part of the world to be able to select from choice stock.
The wood was usually cut from the transition billets between heart wood and soft wood. Made for really solid and slexible bows. The forest of these trees in Europe were considered a stratigic resource until the gun took over. The other use was in making Lute bowels.

Top Bottom