I find this on my porch.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Anyone know what this might be? I come home from work to find this sitting on my porch table. From the looks of it (peat moss for soil and a horrid pot) I'd bet it's from Walmart.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 109
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 93

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
looks like a fukien tea. Never had one, although I've heard they're difficult. Don't think it will last long in the rocks and top moss. I've seen them in lowes, hd, walmart etc - the rocks are usually glued and there's dirt underneath. I'm not sure if it's too late for a repot, but it may be your only choice to get it into some decent soil. I'm sure someone will chime in regarding that, best of luck.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I got one similar to this from Home Depot about a month ago. Brought it home, took off the rocks and moss. Bare rooted it, repotted it, and chopped it down to a stump. 2 weeks later I find this:

042-1.jpg

043-1.jpg

That's an old picture. Now it has about 3 branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm going with the fukien tea also. And keep in mind it won't live outside in Delaware in the cooler weather.

Justin.

Seedling
Reaction score
Definately a fukien tea. Little white dots on the leaves give it awa.

Justin.

Seedling
Reaction score
Fukiens are sub tropical so they can be repotted anytime of year. They backbud pretty easily but scar really bad so you have to be careful.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I've found Fukien Teas to be anything but difficult (here in Orlando). Not sure what they'll think of Delaware though.

I have a couple that started similar to yours - mallsai, or Home Depot specials or something (at least my extended family has a rough idea of what to get me as a gift). I've hacked both back, repotted and they're growing like crazy. One got knocked out of its pot and was upside down for a few days before I found it. didn't miss a beat.

Yours looks relatively healthy (maybe fresh off the truck from Florida?). I bet the moss is just top dressing and it's in some black nursery soil. Those rocks and moss have to go ASAP. And it will probably like being outside in the sun.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it's definitely a tea... I have alot of these... They are rather easy to maintain, but don't like the cold. They would have to be, to sit on a shelf at a departrment store, with no water / horrid light, for that long and still manage to live.
Personally, I would not repot this year... just remove the rocks and moss if you want (will not hurt it right now to leave it on). I agree, I would put it outside... but don't put it in the full sun!!! You have to be careful moving a plant that probally hasn't seen daylight in a while into the full sun. Often they will drop their leaves... I would put in the shade, for a couple of days, then partial shade, etc.
Water about twice a week... the soil that it is in will be fine for now... I often grow mine in a non-bonsai soil, just because it holds moisture longer. They kinda like having damp feet, just not soaking.
They will put out little white flowers, that really don't take any energy away from the tree... The dwarf variety will put out berries, I am told oolong tea is made from. Yours is not the dwarf variety.
Photo is of the one I recently wire and had a thread on in the tropical section.

rosieface

Seedling
Reaction score
Just want to say that I really like the trunk on it. Now that you know what it is, maybe you can do something great with it!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya me too. Nice movement in the trunk. Outdoors in summer, indoors in winter. You could find worse things on your porch, believe me! ;)

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks everyone!! I like the trunk also and it should turn out to be a nice project I hope. Jason people leave all kinds of plants on my porch but you're correct. It could be much worst.

Top Bottom