I found the sorting hat from Harry Potter

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
out of the hornbeams above and these pine style tridents, which style do you think is better suited for your hornbeam down the line?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200527-090931_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200527-090931_Google.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 92
  • dreispitzahorn_200.jpg
    dreispitzahorn_200.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 85

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I would say the second hornbeam and the trident with foliage on it. Tridents kinda look like they could be the same tree in different periods of training tho

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Ok soo this hornbeam has grown crazy since my last post which makes me happy every time I go in the greenhouse. Roots are coming out of the box especially underneath. I've resisted the urge to start selective pruning for a couple months, but now I'm concerned if that was a good idea. The branches are getting thick and growing in an upwards position in alot of places. Ive tried to test their flexibility and they're pretty stiff. Should I start pruning and adding some wire or just wait until after leaf fall.

Attachments

• 20200729_011056.jpg
    20200729_011056.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 79

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All that foliage doesn’t matter. What’s important at this stage is Building and maintaining healthy roots!

As you can see, foliage can regrown in a season or two, so, at this point don’t screw it up by trying to rush things.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If its still growing vigorous like last year, you could probably start setting some branching and taking the strength out of the top.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
If its still growing vigorous like last year, you could probably start setting some branching and taking the strength out of the top.
Vigorous in deed!!! I had to get down and cut roots that grew through the grow box slats into the ground through weed control fabric and rocks.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Gave it a quick trim!!! Scared me to death but I did my best. Hopefully it responds well with new foliage.

Attachments

• 20210524_175908.jpg
    20210524_175908.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 60

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Another trim night for this tree it filled out pretty nicely, added more fertilizer and it exploded. Sorry for the picture quality I suck with photos.

Attachments

• 20210725_211031.jpg
    20210725_211031.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210725_211525.jpg
    20210725_211525.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210725_211247.jpg
    20210725_211247.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210725_211222.jpg
    20210725_211222.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 48

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Since last post did sum carving and a little pruning. The outline of this tree is waaay too big gonna have to cut back and start reducing the overall size.... I think???

Attachments

• DSC_0517.JPG
    DSC_0517.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0515.JPG
    DSC_0515.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 42

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you subscribe to Mirai Live? Time to learn proper development, refinement, sustainable development techniques. So far have been very fortunate with trees survival;).

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After seeing this tree in person and now reading this post and seeing the pics of it at collection I think it has come along way in 2 years congrats.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Do you subscribe to Mirai Live? Time to learn proper development, refinement, sustainable development techniques. So far have been very fortunate with trees survival;).
I am a recent Mari live subscriber!!! Great information. Im in my 3rd year of practicing bonsai and I'm STILL studying and learning. I do consider myself lucky so far 100% survival rate out of 20+ trees collected. The refinement techniques I'm sure will come.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
After seeing this tree in person and now reading this post and seeing the pics of it at collection I think it has come along way in 2 years congrats.
Thank you, I actually had to come back to this post to remind me how far it has come after our conversation. I'm actually quite happy about the 2 yr progress this tree has made although I still imagine this tree with much tighter and more ramification. Grateful, inspired and optimistic

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Like all things it takes time. Will be interesting to see what it looks like in 2 more years

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hopefully this isn't off topic, but this thread made me realize why I cringe every time I see someone refer to Carpinus caroliniana as an "American hornbeam." In part, it's because no one outside of the bonsai community refers to them as hornbeams. I had seriously never heard it until I joined this forum. They're ironwood trees, or occasionally musclewood trees (since they're hard but rot fast like iron and have a rippled cross-section like someone with toned muscles).

Also, they don't behave like the Asian and European hornbeams we're used to seeing in bonsai. Ironwood is a true understory tree. It has a trunk that splits into branches at the top, maybe twelve to twenty feet in height. Hornbeams, at least in the pictures I've seen, are more shrub-like. Virtually every mature ironwood I've seen, hundreds if not thousands of them, has been attacked by borers, with large sections of the tree completely dead. They're quick to abort even a large branch or entire trunk to save the healthy parts of the tree. Accordingly, I'm hesitant to apply Walter Pall's methods to North American Carpinus, since they're fussy about pruning and tend to send out new shoots from the base of a pruned branch. I can't just chop a heavy branch and then ignore it for a while as it grows out. I have to remove unwanted buds as they pop up, since they'll suck vigor away from the branch I spent so much time thickening, ultimately leading to the branch's death. On ironwoods, unlike Walter Pall's oriental hornbeams, you're unlikely to get branches where you want them. Buds only reliably emerge at the base of an existing branch, (including where you've previously pruned one off). I've found it tricky to develop them, accordingly. Ironwood is not to be confused with Hornbeam.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Hopefully this isn't off topic, but this thread made me realize why I cringe every time I see someone refer to Carpinus caroliniana as an "American hornbeam." In part, it's because no one outside of the bonsai community refers to them as hornbeams. I had seriously never heard it until I joined this forum. They're ironwood trees, or occasionally musclewood trees (since they're hard but rot fast like iron and have a rippled cross-section like someone with toned muscles).

Also, they don't behave like the Asian and European hornbeams we're used to seeing in bonsai. Ironwood is a true understory tree. It has a trunk that splits into branches at the top, maybe twelve to twenty feet in height. Hornbeams, at least in the pictures I've seen, are more shrub-like. Virtually every mature ironwood I've seen, hundreds if not thousands of them, has been attacked by borers, with large sections of the tree completely dead. They're quick to abort even a large branch or entire trunk to save the healthy parts of the tree. Accordingly, I'm hesitant to apply Walter Pall's methods to North American Carpinus, since they're fussy about pruning and tend to send out new shoots from the base of a pruned branch. I can't just chop a heavy branch and then ignore it for a while as it grows out. I have to remove unwanted buds as they pop up, since they'll suck vigor away from the branch I spent so much time thickening, ultimately leading to the branch's death. On ironwoods, unlike Walter Pall's oriental hornbeams, you're unlikely to get branches where you want them. Buds only reliably emerge at the base of an existing branch, (including where you've previously pruned one off). I've found it tricky to develop them, accordingly. Ironwood is not to be confused with Hornbeam.
As for the name idk 🤷🏽‍♂️ I don't create the horticultural name for the ants I just call them what they're identified as scientifically/horticulturaly. As for this hornbeam I've actually in the 2 years of growing this tree have had great results of back budding after allowing the tree to just grow and pruning after the branches have turned woody and lignified. With the addition of fertz This thing gets BUUUSHY!!! My newbness to the art of bonsai and fear of cutting has held me back a good bit but I will get there eventually I guess

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Everyone except this community and Google, Wikipedia...
Screenshot_20220505-184507_Google.jpg

Top Bottom