i have a tree

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not in my butt, luckily enough, but growing in my yard:

DSC04423.JPG

It just started to sprout and its located right below the peach-tree of the neighbor that had bombed us with peaches at every stage of decomposition on our lawn all summer but the leaves doesn't look like those of the peach-tree.

Does anyone know what sort of foemina is that? o_O

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda looks like my glossy buckthorn.

Are those round green nuggets at the bottom flowers?

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could it be some type of plum? It's probably a sucker from the rootstock of the peach tree. So, whatever the peach was grafted to.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I looks like an avocado tree. I have them coming up compost pile. Winter usually kills them.

Yes that's what I thought too but I can't understand how an avocado 'seed' (I don't know the English term for that with peach/plum/avocado/cherries and so on) could have ended-up there without me noticing (it's not in a hidden spot of the yard at all).

Are those round green nuggets at the bottom flowers?

Sorce

No they are smaller leaves. I didn't see any buckthorn in the area but at least the 'seeds' of those could have been easily un-noticed.

Could it be some type of plum? It's probably a sucker from the rootstock of the peach tree. So, whatever the peach was grafted to.

That could certainly be, I keep spitting the 'seeds' (I really have to look for the translation on google :) ) of plums, apricot and cherries in the yard :) Always did, since I was a kid, because I wanted them to sprout out.
May be it took me 52 years but I finally did it? ;)
That would be pretty cool, I love plums :D

And actually, according to my neighbor, her peach tree comes form a spontaneous germination like that. She didn't plant it neither.
i didn't notice any suckers from its rootstock since we moved here (3 years ago) though.

I really love the plum idea! I hope it could be that :)

Last edited:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okey so these 'seeds' are called 'pits', I knew it that's the worst part :)

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
first thought was avacado, then buckthorne, i see weve ruled those out, so how about cherry, maybe choke cherry?

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
first thought was avacado, then buckthorne, i see weve ruled those out, so how about cherry, maybe choke cherry?

Actually nothing has been officially ruled out ;)
Cherry also belong to the 'pit spitting' category and could be a good candidate :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The white stuff on the fence makes me lean toward a bird shat seed.

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Awesome, what did I win?

The tree :) I'll need you address for the shipping ;)

Must have been a big frigging bird!

Sorce

Yep.
Or the pit came with the mulch, we re-landscaped the yard this summer and the roots and pit where in the mulch, on top of the landscape fabric they put. That's actually the reason I didn't see it, it had never been on the top of the ground.

More seriously: impossible to make a bonsai out of an avocado I presume?

If so: someone want it before I toss it? (someone who doesn't live in Al if possible, as I guess it will be cheaper to buy and eat and avocado there and make the pit germinate in a glass with 3 toothpicks like everybody else than to ship it there)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had no idea what that was!

Actually, as I said in answer to @Mellow Mullet 's suggestion, that was my 1st idea.
I put a pit in a glass last year and the results was exactly that (for the disposition and shape of the leaves, the color was different). And it never became something better than that: a sort of long, stupid, stem with a crown of big leaves on top. I forgot to water it last winter so it joined my compost pile rather soon.
The problem here was: how did it get there?
Avocado pits aren't part of my 'pit spitting in the yard' program :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this from some lady at my work....
She was moving and didn't get enough sun in the new apt.
It say in the basement under fluorescents for months.

I finally said Fuck it...And brought it home.20160830_084035.jpg

Sorce

Top Bottom