I would like to see some pictures..

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Of you guys farther north that have kept and styled Colorado Blue Spruce trees, I have never seen some real nice ones. In fact, I don't even know what style is best for them. I do understand, that they will probably have to have wire on them their full lives, but that's ok by me.

Thanks,
Harry

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually Harry they don't need wire their whole life , providing you know how to wire

Attachments

• jsw_p1060556.jpg
    jsw_p1060556.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 156

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice tree Tom, I was told they could have wire on a branch for 20 years, remove the wire and the branch would revert to it's original location....myth ?

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
My friend Todd at Colorado has this little beauty for sale and I was try to decide what style it should be...

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC_0247.jpg
    DSC_0247.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0248.jpg
    DSC_0248.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 119

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thats a real beauty harry....

How should it be styled, it's been pinched back for three years and has a 3-1/4 trunk.I have no experience with the species, Tom's looks good.

keep it green,
Harry

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How should it be styled, it's been pinched back for three years and has a 3-1/4 trunk.I have no experience with the species, Tom's looks good.

keep it green,
Harry

You wouldn't necessarily like the way I would style the tree as I focus more on naturalistic stlying and less "triangle" styling.

So I would style it with several rounded crowns...gnarly branches.... some enhanced deadwood features and sections that would be being styled for the purpose of creating interesting dead jins in a few years. I don't really like tagging trees with "styles" but in this case something in the "informal upright style" would be as close as I would come to giving it a style. sparser foliage does give the indication of age and turmoil in its life and the tree can keep that look of "ancient collected tree". The goal would be to style the tree in such a fashion that once complete it would appear as it you simply placed an ancient tree in a pot.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Proofs in the pudding Harry...wire was removed after 18 months.

Attachments

• P1070099.jpg
    P1070099.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 129

bonsaidad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a nice Colorado Blue Spruce from our Yearly bonsai show it's by Vance Wood

Attachments

• Colorado Blue Spruce Picea Pungens Glaca #4-01.JPG
    Colorado Blue Spruce Picea Pungens Glaca #4-01.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 97

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Harry, you may be thinking of dwarf Alberta spruce when it comes to the reversion of the branches. Dwarf Alberta is supposed to be notorious for that.

A couple of months ago I picked up a Colorado spruce for $5; posted a picture here. I just styled it today in a workshop with Hiroshi Yamaji at the Midwest Bonsai Show. Yamaji-san advised me to remove the wires in a year.

I'll post a picture or two after I get home.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Harry, you may be thinking of dwarf Alberta spruce when it comes to the reversion of the branches. Dwarf Alberta is supposed to be notorious for that.

A couple of months ago I picked up a Colorado spruce for $5; posted a picture here. I just styled it today in a workshop with Hiroshi Yamaji at the Midwest Bonsai Show. Yamaji-san advised me to remove the wires in a year.

I'll post a picture or two after I get home.

Yes... yes you will ;)

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Harry,

How well do they grow in your area? You can run across one every now and then in the Atlanta area but they don't seem to be very happy.

Kirk

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Only time will tell, if I buy it. They do okay here in the ground.

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This is a nice Colorado Blue Spruce from our Yearly bonsai show it's by Vance Wood

To bad, but I dont think the one I posted would style like Vances.

keep it green,
Harry

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You sir are making me rather jealous!!!! :p

I needed to read that twice. Ms Vic influence must be working on you. Last I remember you were a "D" tree disciple. Will miracles never cease:p

Attaway Ms. Vic.....convert them all

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I needed to read that twice. Ms Vic influence must be working on you. Last I remember you were a "D" tree disciple. Will miracles never cease:p

Attaway Ms. Vic.....convert them all

Lol I take it you haven't seen this ;)

Top Bottom