Indoor Bonsai lighting Question

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update: I've moved the Japanese Elm outside. See post #4 http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?8305-Indoor-Bonsai-lighting-Question&p=104242#post104242

I have my bonsas near my window. Based on the two pictures, is the amount of light sufficient for these bonsais. From left to right, they are: Chinese elm seed, Japanese elm, willow ficus, and another ficus.

Window_view_closeup.jpg

Window_view_far.jpg

I was thinking of getting a CFL grow light lamp if there wasn't sufficient sunlight.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your elms will be happier outside, no matter what the indoor light is. They are outdoor trees.

I don't think from photos, anyone will be able to tell you much about the light, because it's length of time they get light as well as how strong the light is. So if you could describe the light (full, partial, dappled) and how long the light comes thru that window, someone may be able to answer your question.

And welcome to the forum!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

Your links don't work, try pasting the IMG code here.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like having the smaller trees inside. :D I would say that it's between a filtered sun or indirect sun. There's light for the majority of the day with the sun hitting the windows for a few hours.

Are there any recommended lamps?

I fixed the links, not sure what happened there but it was working earlier.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like having the smaller trees inside. :D I would say that it's between a filtered sun or indirect sun. There's light for the majority of the day with the sun hitting the windows for a few hours.

Are there any recommended lamps?

I fixed the links, not sure what happened there but it was working earlier.

The elms will die indoors. You have to put them outside. Lights alone will not help.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, it's not really a question about whether you want the little ones inside, it's more about that they want (and need) to be outside. Or they will languish and eventually die.

If you want indoor plants, you already have the best ones going.... ficus! Ryan can help you out with indoor tips for those ;)

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
To answer your question - no, this amount of light is not sufficient for these bonsais to thrive. All of these plants would be happier outside in the spring/summer - no matter where you live. the unsprouted elm seedlings may not care as much, but that's really hard to say at this point. Many of those posting in this section don't like to hear this, but bonsai is an outside hobby unless you are prepared to spend some real time & money constructed a specialized environment for them inside.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Taking everyone's advice, I placed the japanese elm outside of my window. It's in partial sunlight which I think that's fine for this shohin.

Jap_Elm.jpg

Last edited:

TheBearded

Sapling
Reaction score
Not enough light. I use 6 4 foot shop lights for mine all lighting a 2X4 area. Check this out for some great info in indoor growing. http://www.fukubonsai.com/2b2a2a.html Using this info and the toothpick method for watering I am finally having success with my trees.

Top Bottom