Indoor Elms

banzaibonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"American elm, cedar elm, slippery elm, and other elms have been used quite successfully for bonsai for some time. Leaves on all elms reduced substantially and all species are quite hardy and forgiving. They are among the hardiest trees used for bonsai."

Yes elms rock!, after reading all the typical misinformation(they are indoor trees, the leaves dont reduce well, long internodes...etc.) I found some american elm seedlings growing in one of my boxes so I had a go with them just for fun and they make great bonsai. Super tough with tight internodes and leaves that can be reduced to 1/16th to 1/8"... I certainly wouldnt grow them indoors , even tropicals suffer if grown indoors year round... why not just dig a trench and keep them outdoors, seems simpler and better for the trees.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is interesting, and timely for me. I just received a small Chinese Elm as a gift from a well-meaning but uninformed family member. It was shipped all the way to the great white north from the southeast, and spent a full week in transit - where it was undoubtedly subjected to severe handling.

Here in Idaho it is 12F and full winter. I will have to keep in inside for the duration, until warmer conditions will allow for a smoother transition to the outdoors.

Any other advice in this regard?

Thanks

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a wise decision to keep the elm indoors out of the 12 degree weather. It has not built up reserves or resistance to such cold.

Deciduous trees begin preparing for winter dormancy in June, after the summer solstice.The shorter days induce storage of nutrients in the roots and later gradual frosts and freezes harden off the roots protecting them from winter.

You can't plunk a tree that has not undergone this process out in the winter cold. It will not go dormant. It will be shocked and die.

Let it limp along inside as best you can this winter--DO NOT put it on a windowsill. Place it in a bright location that gets a lot of humidity---bathrooms with skylight are pretty good...until frost danger is gone in the spring.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep it away from dry heat. I agree that the bathroom is a good place.

Top Bottom