My Indoor growing/dormancy experiments

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
For tall plants I would actually make it square to maximize space instead of a dome like mine. I built mine for a lot of small cuttings.
Plus, I would want my lights inside anyway, and they're rectangular.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
@Redwood Ryan For what reason? My lights are supposed to be waterproof. I'd rather not mount the lights above plastic for 1) plastic+hot lights is not good. 2) the lights would be even higher above the plants (where we possibly might need to care about the distance in intensity calculations). 3) I'd rather not lose wavelengths and intensity to the plastic.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@Redwood Ryan For what reason? My lights are supposed to be waterproof. I'd rather not mount the lights above plastic for 1) plastic+hot lights is not good. 2) the lights would be even higher above the plants (where we possibly might need to care about the distance in intensity calculations). 3) I'd rather not lose wavelengths and intensity to the plastic.

What kind of lights? I just don't like combining electricity and water, but maybe it's just me. I don't put my lights on plastic sheeting, I put them on plexiglass that allows light to pass through. The lights would be like an inch or two higher than they would the other way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
The lights are T5 @ 24W each - and there's 4 of them. They're not "hot" to the touch, but I would not want to take changes with plastic nearby. Plexiglass is fine but it does have a non negligible refractive index, so you're losing some intensity through it (though the extra few centimeters don't matter after all). I would rather use every bit of the power supplied by building the enclosure where the lights can hang on the inside. Further waterproofing isn't too hard to do really.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Also, I should mention there are two fused sources between the light and the wall for safety.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
How do you know they're waterproof? I've never heard such thing. I still wouldn't put them into a high humidity area.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
They were advertised as waterproof - which does not mean anything. However, i opened the casing when i got them and the main electrical area has a rubber seal around it. Additionally, the light fixtures themselves have plastic coverings around the connections. It's not likely they would work under water or anything, but I think they're more waterproof than hardware store lights.

Either way, I don't think i could get the humidity to be high enough to be a problem anyway. The only concern is where the bulbs attach to the fixture, and a little humidity up there will not cause a short (because the other terminal is 2 feet away). It's something to think about though. I will probably take them apart again, and look up the manufacturer specifications before i do anything.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Who makes this light? It's not very powerful, but the "waterproof" is interesting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
It's by a company called agrobrite - I cannot find this light online though, I bought it from a private seller on Ebay (which is why i opened up the casing in the first place). If i end up finding it when i have more time to look, I will post a link here.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Either way, I don't think i could get the humidity to be high enough to be a problem anyway. The only concern is where the bulbs attach to the fixture, and a little humidity up there will not cause a short (because the other terminal is 2 feet away).

I have had extension cords outside for Holiday lighting and never spent the extra on Outdoor rated. They get soaked, frozen, stepped on, etc... They all get plugged into a GFI outlet and honest they never shorted and tripped the breaker in the GFI. I can tell you for certain however that sometimes I have noticed that the sockets in the outdoor lights have corroded and ceased function. The remedy on the bulbs is a thin coat of sil glyde grease at all the bulb connectors... Simple and inexpensive.

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Late to this party but I have to comment nonetheless.
I have a bachelors and a masters degree in Marine biology/marine environmental science and I work in the field of marine fisheries. I am a scientist when it comes to marine fisheries biology, ecology and management. I have also kept freshwater aquariums for over 35 years. I recently expanded into trying out corals and a reef tank. I do rely on my education and experience about fish and marine inverts but my area of expertise is more temperate, east coast environments but that doesnt mean I know everything about keeping marine reef tanks.

I am a member of a reef aquarium forum. Most of those people dont have marine biology degrees but many do have decades of experience keeping marine reef tanks. You bet your ass I read what they have to say and consider their experience with regard to keeping reef tanks.

My point is, looking at horticultural science is one thing and yes that info can give you some insights into plant physiology and ecology. However to completely disregard and discount a guy who is an icon in the bonsai industry who not only has been doing it for 30 years but also has the respect of other experienced people doing bonsai and look toward some PhD doing crop science or forestry science and consider that to be a better source of info simply because the guy has a PhD is naive and frankly idiotic. Brent earned that PhD five times over with regard to bonsai, he just never attended a university to get it.

Anyone that thinks having a piece of paper that says you spent 3-5 years in a university with your nose in a book doing one or two research projects is better experience than someone that has been doing the work for 30+ years needs to come down off their high horse and look at the real world.

Top Bottom