Indoor Mulberry Mini Rose and Common Myrtle

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I may have killed 3 of 4 beloved mulberry bonsai's =( One is for sure dead already in the trash the others look like they are on the way out. Probably due to cutting off too much roots and defoliating at the same time. There is still hope though one is looking like it'll survive. If they die I'll start over fresh in spring from a better source. Never did get to try the fruits from these. Oh well...

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm NEVER going to order plants/bonsai online again.

The chinese elm I bought was infested with spider mites which then spread to the mulberries (didn't notice until too late) within days my poor mulberries were dead. All I could do is spray pyrethrin on everything left alive. The myrtle didn't appear to have any just in case I chopped it back to almost nothing and sprayed. The elm has been soaked as well. I'm so mad/disappointed at myself for letting this happen.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is a harsh reality- pests will always come and they will always land on your favorite plant.
One of the plants that do well indoors for me is brush cherry or https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/brush-cherry

I also keep many ficus. I don’t feel that they are boring at all.
It is best to have a quarantine area for new plants. It is easier to catch them this way before they get to your collection.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It is a harsh reality- pests will always come and they will always land on your favorite plant.
One of the plants that do well indoors for me is brush cherry or https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/brush-cherry

I also keep many ficus. I don’t feel that they are boring at all.
It is best to have a quarantine area for new plants. It is easier to catch them this way before they get to your collection.

It's funny you mention brush cherry as I've been researching cherry trees lately in the hope of finding a pretty flowering bonsai.

However I did go back on my previous statement of not buying anymore trees from outside sources. I bought a Illinois Everbearing Mulberry and as you said quarantined it on the kitchen table a few days spraying top/bottom of leaves and soil surface with pyrethrin. No bugs survived and is now growing well next to the peppers.

Here it is

100_1442.JPG

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's funny you mention brush cherry as I've been researching cherry trees lately in the hope of finding a pretty flowering bonsai.

However I did go back on my previous statement of not buying anymore trees from outside sources. I bought a Illinois Everbearing Mulberry and as you said quarantined it on the kitchen table a few days spraying top/bottom of leaves and soil surface with pyrethrin. No bugs survived and is now growing well next to the peppers.

Here it is

View attachment 467494
The tree that you have chosen is more of an outdoor tree. The brush cherry is more of a tropical tree that can handle indoor life much easier.
Syzygium paniculatum or Eugenia Myrtifolia is a zone 9-11 plant that I could never keep alive outdoors even in a sheltered location, in zone 5.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The tree that you have chosen is more of an outdoor tree. The brush cherry is more of a tropical tree that can handle indoor life much easier.
Syzygium paniculatum or Eugenia Myrtifolia is a zone 9-11 plant that I could never keep alive outdoors even in a sheltered location, in zone 5.

This particular plant was purchased from a Floridian in zone 9b so I'm hoping it'll do well. If not I'll buy Issai because it preformed great.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just a small update on the Chinese Elm and the Myrtle.

1. Myrtle really surprised me after being cut back to a 2" stub it has started growing like nothing ever happened.
  2. Elm has lost a few leaves but is growing. I don't want to transplant it until it has acclimated to the indoor environment.

100_1458.JPG

And for fun I'm trying to grow peppers

100_1459.JPG

Note to self for record keeping - Orange Reblooming Azalea arrived 1/11/23

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Chinese elm pruning day today so she got a good even reduction. There is still quite a bit of trimming to do but my back was starting to hurt so the rest will wait for tomorrow.

100_1536.JPG

Also managed to start a bunch of cuttings. Each pot has 3-5 sticks with a bit of foliage along the stem. Each with a good inch or two of rooting powder on the bottom.

100_1535.JPG

I read a research document about rooting chinese elms that said they had successful rooting only 50% of the time. I'll be happy if only one lives per pot.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Chinese elm pruning day today so she got a good even reduction. There is still quite a bit of trimming to do but my back was starting to hurt so the rest will wait for tomorrow.

View attachment 471911

Also managed to start a bunch of cuttings. Each pot has 3-5 sticks with a bit of foliage along the stem. Each with a good inch or two of rooting powder on the bottom.

View attachment 471912

I read a research document about rooting chinese elms that said they had successful rooting only 50% of the time. I'll be happy if only one lives per pot.
Where did you get those pots with the domes? I had great luck rooting cuttings just putting a cut off 2 liter soda/tea bottle over them. Then last year I got the trays with the domes and had like zero success.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I picked up this small ramakin/cookware at goodwill for $2. Then bought a set of diamond hole drill bits. The key to getting the hole started is to start dry and go slow and tilt the bit 90* otherwise it will roll all over the place. Once this hole is started add water and even out until level. Remember go slow and don't push to hard.

Attachments

• 20230421_095819.jpg
    20230421_095819.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230421_095824.jpg
    20230421_095824.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom