Indoor Mulberry Chinese Elm Dwarf Pomegranate and more

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I live in a apartment building there is no yard or place to put them outside
Fair enough. If indoors is your only option maybe try a few more indoor friendly options. I do overwinter my dwarf pomegranate inside and it bloomed all winter.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The mulberry was growing crazy 2' + branches so I chopped it back. Here are before and after pics

100_0952.JPG100_0951.JPG100_0953.JPG100_0954.JPG

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The Mulberry is doing awesome as is the Chinese Elm! Miss Mulberry has a ton of fruit this time. However, I've noticed some brown spots on a leaf here and there which I think might be some type of blight fungus. Because there is no fan in the tent to move the air around. This may get worse if I don't get a fan because I bought a new 3'x3'x5' tent for bonsai.

I didn't like how the pomegranate was growing so now it is gone. In it's place will be a dwarf/micro tomato plant. Micro dwarf types generally grow cherry size tomato's. It is being grown for my mother since her outdoor cherry tomato's didn't do very well this year. After that maybe a new tropical bonsai.

Everything else is still alive and doing well. Here are some update pictures.

First an overview picture

100_0978.JPG

a picture showing some mulberry fruit

100_0981.JPG

The mulberry trunk

100_0982.JPG

Look how big the Chinese Elm has gotten

100_0980.JPG

Last but not least is the ficus is now leafing out after it's defoliation

100_0979.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The Mulberry is doing awesome as is the Chinese Elm! Miss Mulberry has a ton of fruit this time. However, I've noticed some brown spots on a leaf here and there which I think might be some type of blight fungus. Because there is no fan in the tent to move the air around. This may get worse if I don't get a fan because I bought a new 3'x3'x5' tent for bonsai.

I didn't like how the pomegranate was growing so now it is gone. In it's place will be a dwarf/micro tomato plant. Micro dwarf types generally grow cherry size tomato's. It is being grown for my mother since her outdoor cherry tomato's didn't do very well this year. After that maybe a new tropical bonsai.

Everything else is still alive and doing well. Here are some update pictures.

First an overview picture

View attachment 395035

a picture showing some mulberry fruit

View attachment 395036

The mulberry trunk

View attachment 395038

Look how big the Chinese Elm has gotten

View attachment 395039

Last but not least is the ficus is now leafing out after it's defoliation

View attachment 395040
If you’re getting fungal growth on the leaves I would definitely add air circulation to your tent. Even just a small fan would help a lot. You could try some neem oil spray on the leaves to treat. Or just cut off that part of the plant if it’s small.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you’re getting fungal growth on the leaves I would definitely add air circulation to your tent. Even just a small fan would help a lot. You could try some neem oil spray on the leaves to treat. Or just cut off that part of the plant if it’s small.
Thank you for the help! I do have fungicide spray if it's a fungus

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Can you generous b-nuts help me identify what is happening to the leaves? I sprayed it with a copper based food safe funguside just in case that was the problem.

Is this a fungus?

100_0983.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can you generous b-nuts help me identify what is happening to the leaves? I sprayed it with a copper based food safe funguside just in case that was the problem.

Is this a fungus?

View attachment 395105
I’m by no means an expert but honestly that just looks like normal leaf browning along the edges. Though someone else can chime in.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m by no means an expert but honestly that just looks like normal leaf browning along the edges. Though someone else can chime in.
So the old leaves just kinda go brown on mulberries?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So the old leaves just kinda go brown on mulberries?
Most trees lose leaves from time to time. It’s what they do. I wouldn’t be worried if you see some leaves turn brown and fall off. I can’t really tell with certainty if your leaves have a fungal problem or not but since you already sprayed I would just let the tree rest and see how it develops.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It honestly looks good. You’ve gotten quite a lot of growth. You’re gonna want to start preparing for winter though. I’m no expert but I think winter dormancy needs to be triggered through reducing day length.
Of course this only applies to the mulberry and the pomegranate.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What motivation do you have for defoliation this time of year? Aren't you afraid of stimulating late growth that will most probably freeze?

Top Bottom