Insane heat watering question & spotted lanternflies

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
NYC area, we've had a few thunderstorms and that's it going on 6-7 weeks and it's been 90+ for 3 weeks. Most of my plants are in Diatomaceous earth, pumice, lava rock and pine bark. Find myself watering them twice a day, for plants that are in garden soil and perlite roughly how often do u recommend watering? Because Im doing the knuckle test and they're drying fast. I'm watering them once a day and so far every plant is responding well aside from my bougainvillea which I just noticed some leaves are yellowing but the smaller one is flourishing. Bigger one just had an insane amount of blooms.

As for spotted lanternflies it's an invasion in the NY, PA, NJ area. They're like 1" spider mites that pierce the bark of trees and drain them leaving behind a sweet residue that attracts other crap. They're so bad the USDA imported Chinese wasps because they have no natural predators here. Ive had bad luck with Neem oil outside in the past. This time I sprayed 5 trees at night, the next afternoon leaves were singed. I have a pesticide called bifenthrin which reviews have said works but before I proceed wae hoping for feed back. Everyday I kill 30+ and these things jump they're a pain in the ass. My neighbor uses a mix of white vinegar and water, says that works but idk what it'd do to my trees. I have other vegetables and fruits as well so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be on Mantis detail. I don't think they discriminate.

I keep hearing NY is going to hell in a hand basket, damn if I didn't believe it then!

I wonder if you couldn't set up netted cages that double as one of those mist gatherers they been using in the desert.

Sorce

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd be on Mantis detail. I don't think they discriminate.

I keep hearing NY is going to hell in a hand basket, damn if I didn't believe it then!

I wonder if you couldn't set up netted cages that double as one of those mist gatherers they been using in the desert.

Sorce
I've been thinking about Mantis and this new gnarly bug I just discovered called King Horrid Assassin lol (look it up it's crazy.) Where I am there's a nature preserve right behind where I live and that's where they're coming from. Each backyard if there's plants has a lot of lanternflies but behind us is like Thanksgiving x 10000000 so I'm afraid I get a mantis and she'd leave.

As far as NYC goes dude it sucks here. Cost of living is through the roof and crime/overall dirtiness/mentally ill homeless is reaching early 90s/late 80s levels. Lived through that once as a kid/teen and F that. I remember living here was like a badge of honor cuz it was so gritty but myself and my gf are over it, way too dangerous of late. We were dead set on Texas but the heartbeat law (my gf is a doctor) really freaked her out so now Michigan lol? Ideally I'd love somewhere preferably warm for the plants and safe for us. How's your Summer sir?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been thinking about Mantis and this new gnarly bug I just discovered called King Horrid Assassin lol (look it up it's crazy.) Where I am there's a nature preserve right behind where I live and that's where they're coming from. Each backyard if there's plants has a lot of lanternflies but behind us is like Thanksgiving x 10000000 so I'm afraid I get a mantis and she'd leave.

As far as NYC goes dude it sucks here. Cost of living is through the roof and crime/overall dirtiness/mentally ill homeless is reaching early 90s/late 80s levels. Lived through that once as a kid/teen and F that. I remember living here was like a badge of honor cuz it was so gritty but myself and my gf are over it, way too dangerous of late. We were dead set on Texas but the heartbeat law (my gf is a doctor) really freaked her out so now Michigan lol? Ideally I'd love somewhere preferably warm for the plants and safe for us. How's your Summer sir?
Some guidelines on how to control this pest.:

As for moving to Texas from NYC, good luck wit that...Summers in Texas are eight months long and hotter than the surface of Venus. 😁

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Regarding watering… I’m living in Shanghai… we have recently 40C pretty much every day… I keep my trees in “book” substrates… conifers 33/33/33 akadama/lava/pumice, deciduous 50/25/25 same components. I water them once a day only… late in the afternoon 5-6pm… they are literally swimming during this time but get nothing else during rest of the day. I know ppl are goin to tell me we shouldn’t water in a clock but that’s what I do. Attached is type of growth my junipers are putting within 4 maybe 6 weeks. They are staying in full sun from 7am to 4pm.

Attachments

• E11ACE23-1570-4631-AA39-90C5A496ED14.jpeg
    E11ACE23-1570-4631-AA39-90C5A496ED14.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 21

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I am a firm believer in, well first, statistics, then Constitutional Carry when it comes to law, because it, quite unfortunately I guess, levels the playing field and keeps weak men in their place which should, according to the statistics, make any laws involving their inability to respect their Father and subsequently women unnecessary.

Pew Pew.

Indiana. Texas Yes. The other 22.

I'm going to Michigan today, I'll have a report, so far it's been gloomy, but up there near @M. Frary , safe if you have the right friends!

Oh and bugs, blah blah....😊.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We regularly get above 100 through summer. Maybe that's why I do better with a more organic mix?
Even with the mix I need to water twice a day almost every day through summer just to keep the trees hydrated. Watering properly helps. Light watering only wets the outer edges of soil. Long watering or water several times to properly wet the root balls right through to make sure the trees have enough water for the whole day.
If you're newer I'd recommend soaking the pots once a week to make sure they are wet right through.
Gravel trays definitely help smaller pots and those that dry quick last longer in hot weather. Really porous soils may need a water tray under the pot to keep enough water to last all day.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am out on Long Island and I've been watering my deciduous and tropical trees twice a day since we started getting temperatures over 90 here.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some guidelines on how to control this pest.:

As for moving to Texas from NYC, good luck wit that...Summers in Texas are eight months long and hotter than the surface of Venus. 😁
How's the humidity? Heat I don't mind it's dirty thick sauna air like here. I've survived summers in Florida and I'm fine. Here, if it's 75 and humid I drip. Also much appreciated 👍

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We regularly get above 100 through summer. Maybe that's why I do better with a more organic mix?
Even with the mix I need to water twice a day almost every day through summer just to keep the trees hydrated. Watering properly helps. Light watering only wets the outer edges of soil. Long watering or water several times to properly wet the root balls right through to make sure the trees have enough water for the whole day.
If you're newer I'd recommend soaking the pots once a week to make sure they are wet right through.
Gravel trays definitely help smaller pots and those that dry quick last longer in hot weather. Really porous soils may need a water tray under the pot to keep enough water to last all day.
So when I water, I SOAK. I have my trees all over the place outside so I'll go to one with a medium stream and go all around slowly then back and repeat 4x, go to the next plant then back to the first then finish the second and repeat this so they're definitely getting enough water. It's the plants that are in basic garden soil I'm not sure about because I don't want to over water. I usually use my knuckle and most of the time it feels dry. Just feels like I've been watering them at least once with everything else 2-3x on really hot days.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Regarding watering… I’m living in Shanghai… we have recently 40C pretty much every day… I keep my trees in “book” substrates… conifers 33/33/33 akadama/lava/pumice, deciduous 50/25/25 same components. I water them once a day only… late in the afternoon 5-6pm… they are literally swimming during this time but get nothing else during rest of the day. I know ppl are goin to tell me we shouldn’t water in a clock but that’s what I do. Attached is type of growth my junipers are putting within 4 maybe 6 weeks. They are staying in full sun from 7am to 4pm.
I'm a firm believer on whatever works for you. Juniper was my first tree and no idea why but I still have yet to prune it because I heard pinching is what you're supposed to do. I usually water mine 7am and again 7 pm depending what I have going on.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What's your mix?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How's the humidity? Heat I don't mind it's dirty thick sauna air like here. I've survived summers in Florida and I'm fine. Here, if it's 75 and humid I drip. Also much appreciated 👍
Depends on where you live in Texas. It's a big place. For the most part, the state is far more humid and hotter than N.J. I mean FAR MORE...and for longer.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So when I water, I SOAK. I have my trees all over the place outside so I'll go to one with a medium stream and go all around slowly then back and repeat 4x, go to the next plant then back to the first then finish the second and repeat this so they're definitely getting enough water. It's the plants that are in basic garden soil I'm not sure about because I don't want to over water. I usually use my knuckle and most of the time it feels dry. Just feels like I've been watering them at least once with everything else 2-3x on really hot days.
As long as your soil hasnt turned hydrophobic then you should be fine. Garden soil is usually pretty free draining and hard to become hydrophobic. Potting soil or peat moss are a different story. So if it is indeed garden soil then id say just keep doing what your doing. Soil dries out very quick in high heat.

Also a tip if you dont want to water 2 times a day is to put aluminum foil on top of your soil, for me its made the pot dry oit 3 times slower 😄

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am out on Long Island and I've been watering my deciduous and tropical trees twice a day since we started getting temperatures over 90 here.
Same here. We've had some rain and today is cooler. The humidity has been very high.

Top Bottom