Irrigation failed, tree's went unwatered. Will this survive?

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My sprinkler system failed during black out and my irrigation completely reset leaving my plants unwatered while I was on vacation. I was gone for 3 weeks and unsure when the power cut out, but I returned to find my plants in this condition; two Japanese maples and one dawn redwood. I immediately wrapped them in plastic bags to create a humidity tent, and posted here for expert help.

Is there hope? What should I do?

IMG_0672.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Based on the color of the trunk and limbs I think there is still hope. Water it well and set it in a shady spot and take the chill pill and wait. That's really all you can do at this point.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you both, sounds like the best bet is to take it out of direct sun, keep watering it , and prey that it rebounds. I've kept it in a think trash bag for the past couple days. Hopefully that will help it retain moisture.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I heard its been cool and a lot of rain in Cali this year so you might be ok.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is why I rely on a battery powered system. I put fresh batteries in each year and periodically check to make sure everything is working.

I learned my lesson when I lost 3 trees to a malfunctioning sprinkler. Now I test it every so often to make sure they work and replace at the slightest hint of it not working. The cost of a new sprinkler or timer is less than losing the time and money I put into my trees.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The tree is not as bad as some I have seen come back. Dehydrated trees first shut off water to leaves then progressively down the trunk in order to survive. This one looks like it will sprout new leaves quick and all over. No need for plastic bag. The damage is already done and you don't want to cook it further. Just soak the soil then water as needed until new leaves grow.
In the meantime look at your watering system. There are lots of options to beat all sorts of problems.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Standing water and high humidity around damaged tissue might be problematic. So make sure you ventilate those bags if you still use them, or stop using them all together; one accidental day of full sun will turn those bags into 'sous de vide' bags.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I heard its been cool and a lot of rain in Cali this year so you might be ok.
It has, but unfortunately here in Los Angeles, it's already peaking towards 90 degrees -_-

image0.png

This is why I rely on a battery powered system. I put fresh batteries in each year and periodically check to make sure everything is working.

I learned my lesson when I lost 3 trees to a malfunctioning sprinkler. Now I test it every so often to make sure they work and replace at the slightest hint of it not working. The cost of a new sprinkler or timer is less than losing the time and money I put into my trees.
Boy do I hear you, I had a mister clog on one of my Juniper yamadori's and let's just say, the one that had the clogged head isn't looking so pretty anymore :( really hoping it pulls through. Irrigation systems only aid in the care, but you still have to check and fine tune them constantly.

The tree is not as bad as some I have seen come back. Dehydrated trees first shut off water to leaves then progressively down the trunk in order to survive. This one looks like it will sprout new leaves quick and all over. No need for plastic bag. The damage is already done and you don't want to cook it further. Just soak the soil then water as needed until new leaves grow.
In the meantime look at your watering system. There are lots of options to beat all sorts of problems.
Thank you for the reassurance. I will remove the plastic bag tonight and just make sure to keep the soil moist but not soaked.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wanted to update everyone that unfortunately the plants did not make it. The maple started to die back from each branch until the black kinda crept to the base of the tree. Very sad to watch :(

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do self BIG favor: Get rid of crap quick dry plastic pots and auto H2O system🧐.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Do self BIG favor: Get rid of crap quick dry plastic pots and auto H2O system🧐.
But who will water my plants when I'm out of town? 😓
By quick dry pots do you mean the pond baskets? Don't they help grow super fibrous roots? I won't lie, when I pulled the dead plants out of the pot, the root system was extremely fibrous, and didn't seem to have too many long coiled runners. Almost like looking at an image of capillaries in the brain. I should've taken a picture, but I was too heart broken

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But who will water my plants when I'm out of town? 😓
By quick dry pots do you mean the pond baskets? Don't they help grow super fibrous roots? I won't lie, when I pulled the dead plants out of the pot, the root system was extremely fibrous, and didn't seem to have too many long coiled runners. Almost like looking at an image of capillaries in the brain. I should've taken a picture, but I was too heart broken
See my post earlier in the thread.
I use a battery operated timer to water my trees. As long as I put fresh batteries in each spring and make sure the sprinklers are working correctly, I don't worry about being away a few days

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Wanted to update everyone that unfortunately the plants did not make it. The maple started to die back from each branch until the black kinda crept to the base of the tree. Very sad to watch :(
Sorry to hear this. I just saw this thread as I posted something similar earlier today. Thankfully it was not nearly as long of a stretch without water, though much hotter for the time the trees went without. Hoping mine pull through, very frustrating after putting in all the effort and time on both the trees and the watering system! I feel your pain and once again my condolences.

Top Bottom