Is Creating a Shari Considered an Insult?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Quick question? I know stlying, potting are considered insults...limit one per yr. So is creating shari considered an 'insult'?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It really depends on how much area of the trunk is involved.
Considering it usually involves removing bark along a large percentage of trunk, I would think so.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on the extent of the damage, does it include significant branches, etc.

Most shari, unless you're killing of 50 percent or more of the trunk, shouldn't be an "insult."

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Depends on the extent of the damage, does it include significant branches, etc.

Most shari, unless you're killing of 50 percent or more of the trunk, shouldn't be an "insult."

50% or less...no insult. Cool. I'm just thinking out what I want to do with a shimpaku's shari development. I've always wondered.

Thanks guys!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
50% or less...no insult. Cool. I'm just thinking out what I want to do with a shimpaku's shari development. I've always wondered.

Thanks guys!

Not meaning to throw water on this issue but make sure you know where your life lines are, coming and going. If you don't, this could have a lot of unintended consequences and loose of branches you did not intend to lose. You may already know this stuff, I have no way of knowing but being warned again is far better than wishing someone had told you before.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Wow, that is a lot more than I thought.

You did not address the affected foliage...does that not matter? :confused:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wow, that is a lot more than I thought.

You did not address the affected foliage...does that not matter? :confused:

Yes it does matter. If you, in your enthusiasm manage to isolate a major branch from its life line to the roots you will lose the branch. If your design demands that what you have envisioned is necessary it becomes incumbent upon you to cut out portions of the shari as oval holes along the line of the intended shari. They can be cut through to total the shari you desire at some later date as the tree has had time to redirect its resources around your dead wood element and keep the branch connected to the base along a detour you have created.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vance,

I understand that...it just baffles me that the conversation concentrated on the amount of trunk disturbance and not foliage. I can disturb only 10% of the trunk wrongly and totally isolate all the foliage killing the tree (and still not considered as an insult?)

For me the affected foliage mass is more important (thus the question on post #2) but then again....I am just a newbie. :eek:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,

I understand that...it just baffles me that the conversation concentrated on the amount of trunk disturbance and not foliage. I can disturb only 10% of the trunk wrongly and totally isolate all the foliage killing the tree (and still not considered as an insult?)

For me the affected foliage mass is more important (thus the question on post #2) but then again....I am just a newbie. :eek:

Someone new to this does right by asking questions and if there is something that does not make sense to you ask questions till it does make sense. You're right about being concerned about the foliage. Unless it is your intentions to totally regrow your tree from the buds that grow along the peripheries of areas you have decimated you must be concerned.

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So is creating shari considered an 'insult'?
Clever thread title, Sucked me right in.

Good luck with your shari, try not to offend ...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Best to draw the intended shari line with a sharpie or a piece of chalk to ensure you don't accidentally go around a branch you intend to keep (as Vance stated).

It is also best to do big work in the spring, then you can get away with a big strike of Shari and then some.

I would consider removing anything more than 45 degrees of bark to be major (looking at a cross-section of the trunk).

A narrow strip (less than 1/8 of the trunk's diameter) up the trunk, and jinning off an attached branch would not be an insult, and you could do it anytime.

Here is one Peter and I did during the spring, you can see the lines we drew to show the shari line, and then how much living area is left. In the spring, this isn't a major insult. Is about 60 degrees of trunk, and probably a removal of 70% of the foliage. After this work, it wasn't touched for the rest of the year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 24

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did I miss something? What kind of tree is this?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Glad you liked the title Dave! ;)

Vance, yes I'm aware of working with live veins, but I appreciate you noting as you said, you just never know.

JKD, I was thinking of a shimpaku when I posted this, but also have shari work to be done on some Ponderosas. So I tried to phrase the question broadly.

Dario, good questions, Thanks!

Brian, another good figure to know, 45 degrees or greater. Makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's better to do big shari's in phases rather than all at one shot. It gives the tree a chance to realign interuptions in live veins.

Top Bottom