Is it possible to root a little sample of my neighbor's tree

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg My neighbor has some kind of gorgeous Japanese maple tree. I don't know what species it is but it has these beautiful, delicate, lacy leaves and a crazy, twisted trunk. It's about 6 feet tall and has these beautiful sweeping umbrella branches.

I would love to be able to root a piece of it, do you think it's possible? I tried looking for seeds (I think I'm too late in the season) and I don't see any seedlings around.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you plant seeds from the tree, it wont look like the mother tree sadly, It will be very different. I have heard lace leaf maples are hard/impossible to root from cuttings, but I have never tried myself so I cant say for sure if its true! I would still try- laceleafs are so beautiful!!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Kjr928 - That most likely is Acer palmatum, a dissected leaf cultivar. Japanese maple for short, or JM, this is one of the weeping forms. There are hundreds of Japanese maple cultivars, unless the neighbor knows which variety it is it would be impossible to guess with any certainty.

It is true as a general statement that dissected leaf JM tend to not root from cuttings very easily, but this is not an absolute. There are some dissected leaf JM that do indeed root as cuttings. Since you don't know the cultivar name, only way to find out is to try. In August take cuttings of wood that formed this year (semi-hardwood cuttings). Cut a branch or two off, chop them to shorter segments. Make your cuttings 4 to 6 nodes long. Keep track of top and bottom, in that the part that was originally closest to the trunk should be the part stuck into the media in the pot. Remove all but one or two leaves, cut the lobes of the leaves to leave half the original surface area if the leaves were larger than a quarter.

I have used pumice, perlite, sphagnum moss and peat moss as rooting media. I've used 100% sphagnum, which works well, but the long fibers are a problem to tease out of rooted plants a year or two later. Lately I have used a blend of perlite and peat moss, 1:1, with good results. Make sure the media is moist. If you start with dry peat moss it can be difficult to wet. Wet the peat at least a week before you need it. Stick your cuttings into a pot of media, then set the pot inside a large clear plastic bag, zip lock freezer bags are great. Then set this bag in a shady spot on your bench and forget about it. Make sure the bag stays out of direct sun. Just before autumn frost, open bag to check. Cuttings that still have leaves will likely root. They may or may not have rooted, but if they still have a leaf callus has formed which is the first step in forming roots. Remove any dead cuttings. Close bag back up. and set in an unheated garage or other location that stays warmer than outside but under 40 F. all winter. They can freeze but it is best to protect the cuttings from temps below +23 F. for the first winter. In spring you can open the bag and set out the cuttings in the shade and the ones that sprout leaves will be the ones that formed roots over the winter.

Even with JM maple varieties that are known to root from cuttings, seldom will you get 100% to root. Pro's are happy with better than 70%. For the simplified pot in a bag trick, if you get 50% to take you did great. Try this several years in a row. Just because one year did not work doesn't mean it will never work. Try it without rooting hormone once or twice. Then try it with a commercial rooting hormone. Read the instructions, too much rooting hormone can actually inhibit rooting, so follow directions. I frequently have success without the use of hormones, so try it either way.

Or you could learn the art of Grafting. And make a copy of this tree by grafting scion onto Japanese maple understock. - In the sub-forum Advanced Techniques there is a forum for Grafting & Propagation. Some of the threads are good tutorials. There are also several discussions of techniques for rooting cuttings that are more detailed than mine.

Have fun, give cuttings a try. You might get lucky.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you plant seeds from the tree, it wont look like the mother tree sadly, It will be very different. I have heard lace leaf maples are hard/impossible to root from cuttings, but I have never tried myself so I cant say for sure if its true! I would still try- laceleafs are so beautiful!!
Cuttings and layers are not impossible from a cut leaf like this one, but perhaps a bit more difficult than a regular Palmatum.
@krj- Take a bunch of extras if you are going to take cuttings to root. An air layer or two would be your best bet... Obviously you need to get permission from the owner before doing any of this!

The "issue" with these is long leaf nodal leangth, large leaves, and generally cut leafs don't tend to have roots that are quite as strong as a basic Green JM.

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the information! I will think about it. I do have a little 2 year old baby red maple (18 inches) in a pot in my backyard - since I'm a REAL noob maybe I'll just try to make something nice out of that. This will be my first bonsai (I'll prob start a new thread when I get it going). Attached is a pic, what do you think?

image.jpeg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They will tell you to plant it in the ground, walk away and come back in 5 years :rolleyes:. And that it's not a bonsai. It's a stick in a poto_O

I would chop that baby in half next spring and hope for a bunch of back buds and go from there. Make a petite tree out of it or something maybe?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
''Nobody can have just one''.

One problem with seedlings, young plants, and cuttings is that there isn't much to do except keep them all growing.

You maple is nice, but needs to grow up before any bonsai work. The cuttings will need time to grow also. Why don't you do both?

most people doing bonsai tend to have more than 20 trees in various stages of training, so that there is always some ''bonsai'' activity to be done. I recommend you try your hand at cuttings or an air layer f4om your neighbor's tree, And begin growing out the red Japanese maple with bonsai in mind, and I recommend you look for older nursery stock that is further along, so you can ''do bonsai''. Junipers are great for this. Don't know how far you are from Rochester, but in Sept 2016 there is a National show, with many vendors. Great opportunity to see the best of USA bonsai and there are a large number of vendors that will be there.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have personal favorite red/maroon leaf JM. Good choice;). Personally do not Bonsai maples so will not advise except plant in ground or way oversize container, cut back when healthy and let grow for some years to get some trunk size.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They will tell you to plant it in the ground, walk away and come back in 5 years :rolleyes:. And that it's not a bonsai. It's a stick in a poto_O

I would chop that baby in half next spring and hope for a bunch of back buds and go from there. Make a petite tree out of it or something maybe?
It would just be a shorter stick in a pot then.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 109999 View attachment 110000 View attachment 110001 My neighbor . . . has these beautiful, delicate, lacy leaves and a crazy, twisted trunk . . . and has these beautiful sweeping umbrella branches. I would love to be able to root a piece of it, do you think it's possible? . . ..

And it is those that will serve your needs. Go around to the backside of
the plant and "pin" a few of those low twigs to the ground; cover with a
little mound of dirt and layer yourself one. May still take a couple of years
but worth the wait. Plus side; it will be on its own roots too.
Really fellas you can look at those pictures and NOT suggest layering?
Hang up your shears--you've been thinned.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've successfully air-layered a lace leaf (only to kill it later) from my folks' house. It did take constant visits to keep the moss wet. This means you'd have to get permission. Cookies would convince me. Or beer. Or a ginger bread cookie stout. I digress.

Airlayering is probably your best bet.

Cheers,

B

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It would just be a shorter stick in a pot then.
I was thinking about an inch or so above the graph. Or maybe just pruning back and keeping the tree to about a foot?

Thought maybe a 12" tree doesn't need to have a big trunk to grow out to look good.

Top Bottom