Is it safe to repot a juniper on the same year that I’ll be grafting new foliage on it?

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone—

After a considerable amount of practice using cheap nursery stock, I’ve decided to take on the challenge of grafting different foliage on my collected Utah juniper. Despite the bizarrely cold weather we’ve been having throughout CA, I imagine it’s a little too late for scion grafting, so I’ll probably be opting for approach grafting.

Would it be safe to repot the tree this year as well? If so, should I do it before or after grafting? I imagine it may get a little tricky to repot if I end up opting for approach grafting, but I thought I’d ask around first. Thanks!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t think it would be wise to mess with the roots until the graft has been incorporated into the tree. You can turn your juniper into a bonsai and graft later as well. I’ve seen this done a lot. I think it gets the ball rolling quicker. And time to see your tree styled and find that perfect place to graft.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A future re-pot on a tree temporarily reduces its vigor, and with with multiple approach grafts on it will likely play hell with the new grafts if not soundly attached to the receiving tree but won't have much affect on the success or failure of the re-pot. Both procedures could be done but would ideally be separated by one growing season for best chances of the grafts taking.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I guess the collected juniper was not recently collected? Also assuming the tree has recovered and is growing well last season?
If just doing a repot with minor root work grafting will probably be OK, especially approach grafting as it doesn't matter how long the union takes.
I would also recommend repot first as movement through the repotting process may dislodge grafted stems unless the pots and grafts are tied on real well.

Top Bottom