Is this a “cork bark” jade?

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Snagged this P. Afra at the nursery, I’ve been really into them as of late and I’ve been looking for an older one that’s more developed as a possible “showpiece” tree. $75 for this is a deal imo, especially up here in Chicago where they don’t grow as easily.

Anyways, the bark on the trunk looks awfully rough—for a dwarf jade, no less. Could this be a “cork bark” variety, or if this normal trunk development for the age?

Attachments

• 2EB0F0F3-457F-4F4E-A05C-E5EC8BF3AA3F.jpeg
    2EB0F0F3-457F-4F4E-A05C-E5EC8BF3AA3F.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 8A50E7BD-F3B5-4912-B469-958D1F092B21.jpeg
    8A50E7BD-F3B5-4912-B469-958D1F092B21.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 160

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, I repotted it, trimmed it a bit, and cut the two big "poke you in the eye" branches up front. This tree has a HUGE circular root coming off the trunk. I was too nervous to cut the whole thing off towards the end of the outdoor season like this so I cut maybe 20% off and crammed it into the cheapo 8" too small mallsai pot I had. Well, it's a happy accident because I was forced to accentuate the lean of the tree and the big roots are poking out a bit so the end effect is one of a very old tree. Pleased with how it turned out so far.

I have an idea of what branches still need to go/trimmed but I'm gonna hold off for a bit. I'll attach some photos with what I'm thinking. Also, this tree has some longer branches in the back that are growing downwards. My first thought was to trim them as they are quite leggy but I think they help add to the ancient look of the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 89

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The plan is to keep it outside for another month or so and then bring it inside with a grow lamp. My sun exposure is middling at best so I'm expecting my plants to better indoors, honestly. 18hours of direct light everyday? Yes please. I hope to be able to make some progress ramifying the branches. Depending on how it does I may repot next June, cutting off more of the big root. I like the little knob that pops out behind the tree so maybe I'll trim back to that.

I wish I had cut the big branches in front a little longer. I like the look of the stumps but when they are both equally short it looks artificial. Ah well, live and learn. I'll be taking a 6 week bonsai workshop in a month so I don't think i'll make any further changes until I have the instructor look it over with me.

I've attached a photo with my tentative plans: Red is crossing branches that I think need to be shortened, yellow I'm thinking about wiring down somewhat, and blue is a sacrifice branch.

Attachments

• IMG-1998.jpg
    IMG-1998.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 116

jfenton

Seed
Reaction score
I don't believe this is a cork bark. It is simply an older nursery type port that has been in that pot for a while. I have owned a number of cork barks and the surface is different than this. Interestingly I have found that as cork barks get really old, the corking on the main trunk seems to settle down a bit and it becomes more pronounced at some of the branching interfaces.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I also dont think its a cork bark, just an older tree with that portion of the trunk that may have been under soil or something at one time. The corkies ive seen have huge exaggerated ridges, almost like a pine.

But May be wrong!

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with you both. I'm guessing it had been tucked away in the corner of some wholesaler for quite a while before landing at my local nursery. It seems very unlikely that a rare cultivar would end up at a nursery without it being identified (and priced!) as such. Just got carried away in my excitement ;)

I'm gonna use this thread to log this tree's progress - could a moderator please update the title to "Ancient Styled Portulacaria"? @Bonsai Nut

Top Bottom