Is This A Good Starter Pre-Bonsai Juniper?

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why is the lowest left branch facing the wind directly? Even if you'd jin it then it would look like either the wind wasn't there at the first 15 years, or that the plant has moved itself to a windy position. That makes it hard from the get go.

Nothing wrong with windswept if done well. But it's hard to do well. Same goes for cascades.

Someone once said something along these lines: those (cascade and windswept) are the easy options to pick from because they require very little fantasy especially in junipers that have a creeping nature, however, they require solid starter material and a great amount of skill to look convincing representations of real trees.
And I agree with that.
Everyone should try it though! It can be a great lesson and if it's done right it looks awesome. Just make sure you do it right. Or.. just not do it. Way easier to not force a design on a tree that just isn't meant for it.
Why is the lowest left branch facing the wind directly? Even if you'd jin it then it would look like either the wind wasn't there at the first 15 years, or that the plant has moved itself to a windy position. That makes it hard from the get go.

Nothing wrong with windswept if done well. But it's hard to do well. Same goes for cascades.

Someone once said something along these lines: those (cascade and windswept) are the easy options to pick from because they require very little fantasy especially in junipers that have a creeping nature, however, they require solid starter material and a great amount of skill to look convincing representations of real trees.
And I agree with that.
Everyone should try it though! It can be a great lesson and if it's done right it looks awesome. Just make sure you do it right. Or.. just not do it. Way easier to not force a design on a tree that just isn't meant for it.
I

Last edited:

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any particular reason why you should say "Just don't turn it into a windswept or a cascade design.

And I agree with that.
Was not really asking for a critique but tree is growing well and I would like to see the trunk get larger so no branch is coming off in first year.

Since im self taught I chose windswept so I can learn and plan for myself and not worry what others think. I saw the plant at Lowes and got inspired and learned to wire with this tree. It’s my father in law’s favorite one and loves to look at it. I also learned that keeping the plant growing and alive in my first year is the goal.

So taking my time and learn is how to do “hard things.”

I understand you point but I guess the gentleman above should of posted in the beginner forum.

Go for windswept or cascade! That was my second purchase!!

SA

Top Bottom