ISO - Anderson flats

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ryan was talking about the trees from Randy, and he said that if he was going to place any of them into an Anderson flat he would build a wooden frame around them. I think they are a set it and forget it kinda thing. Place it flat on the ground and don't move the tree. I use Rootpouch in my grow bed, the tree itself is in bonsai inorganic soil, but the bags are placed in an above ground planter full of wood mulch. The escape roots grab a hold of the mulch and stabilize the tree. This will be the first year I will lift them up to work the roots and move into bigger bags, or move them into bonsai pots. On small trees I fold the side of the pouch outwards to make it a little more solid, then place them on top of a tile to support the bottom.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You might or might not find this amazing, but very soon after I sent an email to Anderson Pots about what I was looking for, The owner called me up. Really nice guy by the way. He said he used to make a pot like I was asking for that was 15" X 15" X 8", but they didn't sell well so he sold all of them and did not make any more. He sent me a couple of them and the trays that he made for them also. He said he would make another run if he had enough interest. To me, they are perfect for what I'm looking for with larger/deeper Yamadori. I have a pallet sold for him with one call. They are very sturdy and built strong. I would have no problem putting a large tree and the soil and moving them around using the lips for carrying. Any interest from folks on here? All orders would go through Anderson Pots of course.

Attachments

• IMG_5094.jpg
    IMG_5094.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 69171398801__513AE008-2711-4479-91BA-B786EFED41E4.jpg
    69171398801__513AE008-2711-4479-91BA-B786EFED41E4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5092.jpg
    IMG_5092.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
You might or might not find this amazing, but very soon after I sent an email to Anderson Pots about what I was looking for, The owner called me up. Really nice guy by the way. He said he used to make a pot like I was asking for that was 15" X 15" X 8", but they didn't sell well so he sold all of them and did not make any more. He sent me a couple of them and the trays that he made for them also. He said he would make another run if he had enough interest. To me, they are perfect for what I'm looking for with larger/deeper Yamadori. I have a pallet sold for him with one call. They are very sturdy and built strong. I would have no problem putting a large tree and the soil and moving them around using the lips for carrying. Any interest from folks on here? All orders would go through Anderson Pots of course.
I think you should start a thread on this one . Am sure many of us would love to get hands on something like these

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
New thread "Anderson Pots" started.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hi ,

I don’t need a pack and only looking for 2-3 Anderson flats that are 5 inch deep . Is anyone interested in selling them and I can Buy them ? Am in Minnesota and we don’t get Anderson flats locally

Regards,
Abhishek
are you near the twin cities? if so i would be willing to split a case with you, or sell you a few from a case

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi ,

I don’t need a pack and only looking for 2-3 Anderson flats that are 5 inch deep . Is anyone interested in selling them and I can Buy them ? Am in Minnesota and we don’t get Anderson flats locally

Regards,
Abhishek
Have you tried any local hydroponics stores? I'm not sure how available that is in Minnesota (Coloradan here, and we have about one ever square mile, haha) but I can usually find a wide variety of nursery supplies retailed in them that would otherwise only be available whole sale. Just gotta sort through the very expensive "plant" soil and the very expensive "plant" fertilizer to find them ;)

Reaction score
Have you tried any local hydroponics stores? I'm not sure how available that is in Minnesota (Coloradan here, and we have about one ever square mile, haha) but I can usually find a wide variety of nursery supplies retailed in them that would otherwise only be available whole sale. Just gotta sort through the very expensive "plant" soil and the very expensive "plant" fertilizer to find them ;)
That is an amazing suggestion . I shall try and visit a few places and see . I remember getting my pond baskets from hydroponics store

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am not out to steel this post, but talking about Anderson flats, does anyone know where I can get a grow pot around 12-14" square, and 8-10" deep? A lot of us collect yamadori that have roots that will not fit in a 5" deep flat. I know a lot of people build boxes for these trees, but something already made would be nice. One can use the bigger nursery pots, but they need to be cut down etc, etc. Wish Anderson would make some.
Anywhere that sells pond baskets.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Y'all nothing better than strainers from the dollar store for smaller trees!
I have collected trees, some of them pretty big. I have been told that the pond baskets/strainers don't go that big and that the substrate dries out to fast with our hot summer temps and low humidity.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have collected trees, some of them pretty big. I have been told that the pond baskets/strainers don't go that big and that the substrate dries out to fast with our hot summer temps and low humidity.
I have done it in Las Vegas/Phoenix in strainers for about 25 years. Temps up to 120F+ humidity 5% and less. It is actually helps a great deal as roots actually boil when there is water in the bottom of a pot. I'll find a pic and show you what roots look like when grown this way. You do need it to fit them however.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Here's a little fella in a pond basket from Lowe's the basket was 12x12 the tree had about a 6" base at this point. Sadly I killed it being overly aggressive but that's another story.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614-180402.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614-180402.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 41

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here's a little fella in a pond basket from Lowe's the basket was 12x12 the tree had about a 6" base at this point. Sadly I killed it being overly aggressive but that's another story.
What size mesh do the pond baskets have? I don't know how you grow anything but cactus down there in that heat. You must really be limited of what you can grow. I thought about moving down ur way awhile back but the heat thing was a killer for me. I would like to move somewhere affordable that is a little warmer in the winter than where I live. I'll look at pond baskets next time I go to Boise.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
What size mesh do the pond baskets have? I don't know how you grow anything but cactus down there in that heat. You must really be limited of what you can grow. I thought about moving down ur way awhile back but the heat thing was a killer for me. I would like to move somewhere affordable that is a little warmer in the winter than where I live. I'll look at pond baskets next time I go to Boise.
Honestly, you would be surprised. For many plants, the trick is keeping the root zone cool and damp not wet. That and morning sun only. One good thing is I can leave my tropicals outside all winter!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Strong stacking potential for sure :) I use extra ones for things like string for ROR, wire, etc. when I'm working in different spots.
These have been an absolute game changer, but not because of planting anything in them--they keep all my little pots organized!

Top Bottom