Japan to Australia maple germination help

Treefrog

Seed
Reaction score
Hi! Novice green thumb so I seek help from professionals.

I acquired 3 Japanese maple seeds from a tree in Kyoto and I am looking to germinate them.

Seeds were picked from a tree in mid November 2018. Apparently some were falling to the ground while some were still attached to the tree.

What is the best option for me to get these to germinate? I understand that they need to go through a cold stratification (which I can do in the fridge for about 30-120 days? Correct me if I'm wrong) but the only issue is: if I do that now (early December, which is the start of summer in Australia) if the seeds took root it would most likely be around Feb/March which is getting into autumn for Australia, and I'd be concerned they would be too young to make it through winter.

I'd love some advice, thankyou.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have this feeling that Australian winters aren't really winters compared to the native winters these plants get.
As long as the seedlings don't freeze entirely, after-summer would be the best options.
I am not familiar with maples, but I keep reading they are sensitive when it comes to sun, wind, droughts.. So an easy season (not too hot, not too dry) would be the best start.

Top Bottom