Japanese Black Pine Seedling Unfamiliar Territory

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I know, the tropical/flower gal posting in the Pine Forum. I'm not lost, well maybe somewhat. A surprise little Japanese Black Pine seedling was gifted to me by @Pitoon when I received my Nippon Daisies. Instead of pestering him to death in PM's, I'll ask here. It was sown in 2020. I know absolutely nothing about Pines, so any suggestions are appreciated. My son has been on me to get a Pine of some sort, because he says those are the "cool looking" bonsai. So guess I have one now! jbp.jpgjbp2.jpgjbp roots.jpg

I would repot it into a larger pot, using a mix that was at least half or more pumice or perlite. I would just let it grow for a year or two. If you have a one gallon nursery can laying around, that would be a good size to move it into. Try not to remove roots, just pot it up.

Nice little pine! Looks like it needs to finda good place to grow.

I put my little guys in Boon mix for awhile, wire to give some movement, then stuffed them all in the ground in a nice sunny spot last fall at the end of their first year here.

Now I wait...

cheers DSD sends

Check out Jonas Dupuich’s blog “bonsai tonight”. It will basically walk you through seeding to 15 years +. It was very helpful to me when I started out with two germinated seedlings 11 years ago and I was in the same boat as you.
Thanks, I'll check it out, I do subscribe to his blog.

@Carol 83 make sure gradually introduce it back into the sun light. It was inside a pitch black box for about a week......after keep it in full sunlight and then add a little fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom