Japanese Larch Shohin?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Need to change the Title as I’ve been advised that this is a European Larch (by someone who knew the whole story of how Larch came to central Vancouver Island - visionary Forester?).
Anyway, our club had a concrete slab making workshop so I thought I’ll use this one for the time being. Future vision is for a shallow rectangle pot. I removed all of last years wiring and will adjust the branches this winter. Left a couple of cones on for interest.083B26EC-D628-49A7-B130-35103CB5CEB6.jpeg2276B35A-3BAA-4FD1-9C8D-F09329B44B0C.jpeg

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So beautiful. And such short needles, How do you manage them to get such short needles?
Vance is correct with taking the photo now, but I do follow a regime that I got from Ryan Neil on how to trim them (larches), all summer long. However as this one was repotted last month I may not be as aggressive this summer......

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one seems to have come through it’s repotting (back in March) very nicely. If it continues to have vigorous growth I will trim these first spring extensions (within some areas) in the next week or so.
Cheers from the PNW on the 50th.

Attachments

• 1101411D-DF1B-4C31-B99A-A42080F99242.jpeg
    1101411D-DF1B-4C31-B99A-A42080F99242.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 69

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've loved this tree since you first posted it way back when. Larches in general are a favorite of mine and I wish we could grow them here in the Bay Area. I'm with Alain in that I liked it in the high pot better (I guess I suggested a crescent pot back in the day). Looks like people are divided on that one. Different strokes I guess. Nonetheless, it's a great tree and I'm always glad to see it.

Cory

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just a thought

Something like that, yes.

I think a flat slab doesn't fit with the dynamics of the tree.

At least, it's too "soft", too rounded. To me, to my "perception", it's a sort of antinomy (1).

Perhaps a very angular pot with a raised base (rocky hill) for the tree, like some penjing could be OK ?

I mean it's a very good nice beautiful bonsai, but so far, it hasn't found its pot, its scenery...

(1) I had to check it up to be sure it meant the same in English : https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antinomic Pheww... Close shave 😄

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Cory and Alain,
I here you......still have not found the right container....(which are very difficult to find up here)....I just keep growing it and got into cement pots last couple of years and slipped it into this.
I have been working with potter Sam Miller (SLC- Utah) on making a more traditional pot, tossing around ideas of a shallow rectangle or oval.
Another thought I’ve had while repotting it this March....in the future maybe I’ll slip it off the rock for an exposed root style?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently found out that a Japanese larch exists, wanted to buy one but I didn’t trust Chinese translation.
You reckon I’d be able to keep one in my zone 10 if I can give it some mid day shade?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@ghues
I think a shallow rectangle, or something Sam Miller cooks up would be great. I am not a fan of "crescent moon" pots. The crescent pots tend to look contrived in my mind.

I love this larch of yours.
Hey Leo,
Funny you mention Sam.....ESP or what? I actually sent him a photo and we discussed a collaboration but didn’t firm up anything... then boom Covid hit, Sam in Utah, me GWN 🇨🇦...maybe next year.

Top Bottom