USDA Zone
6a

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
How about any of the upright growing cultivars like bloodgood, Seriyu, etc.? Like the species, they'll all be around 12-20 feet tall in 10 years. They'll continue to grow after the first 10 years but they'll be much slower at that point. Katsura is a nice one but I'm not sure how upright a grower it is.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How about any of the upright growing cultivars like bloodgood, Seriyu, etc.? Like the species, they'll all be around 12-20 feet tall in 10 years. They'll continue to grow after the first 10 years but they'll be much slower at that point. Katsura is a nice one but I'm not sure how upright a grower it is.
It is an upright grower- I know of one in someone's front yard here: Full sun, in the ground, it is probably 10-15 ft+ right now. Small foliage, turns kind of yellow in the summer, comes out orange.

I don't know how well they handle cold, but I assume they would be fine in the ground. Sly, just look a round your neighborhood- if JM are growing in the landscape, you should be fine. Contrary to what seems to be the common recommendation, they do well in full sun especially in the ground.

gar732

Sapling
Reaction score
I have a sango kaku that is going in my front yard when I move (currently in my back yard). The nice red branches really make the tree stand out especially in the winter. It's held up just fine to our CT winters.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bloodgood are very sturdy, have a nice smooth bark, and ours stays deep red all Summer. It is actually the best of any landscape plant that was here when we bought this place.

Grimmy

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the suggestions. It's a tough choice so I haven't decided on a tree yet but I'm leaning towards Seiryu.

plants%2Fd.%20Seiryu.JPG

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just bought a madame butterfly as my corner garden tree. It is not that tall though.

Mudman13

Seedling
Reaction score
I just planted a Japanese Lace Maple here in NY. It is supposed to grow to 10 feet and 12 wide. I always wanted one and this was recommended. Right now it is about 4 high and 4 wide but very pretty.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I imagine it did. 110 inches is still way too much. There are places here in the Upper Peninsula that get an average of 10 feet but they are prepared for it. I'm sorry but you poor people arent.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, don't sell the good folks of Boston short! The city averages over 40" of snow a year and gets hit with at least one or 2 Nor'easters- basically a hurricane with snow- every winter...they sometimes snow for 2 days straight and dump 2+ feet of the white stuff. I think the problem was that they got a nor'easter every 10 days for 2 month straight and it was below freezing the whole time...yikes!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another vote for bloodgood. I have what i believe is a bloodgood JM in my front yard. HUGE, I'd say over 30 feet. Beautiful tree and interesting structure to it. Best part is the dozen freebies it gives me that pop out of the ground every spring...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The LAST Japanese maple variety I would plant would be bloodgood. If this tree will be a centerpiece in your front yard it shouldn't be run of the mill.There are HUNDREDS of varieties you can use. I like Arakawa, Sieboldianum, to name just a few. Both of those varieties are vastly more colorful than bloodgood (I've had a few of those too).

Check here:
http://www.mendocinomaples.com/acer-species/acer-sieboldianum

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The LAST Japanese maple variety I would plant would be bloodgood. If this tree will be a centerpiece in your front yard it shouldn't be run of the mill.There are HUNDREDS of varieties you can use. I like Arakawa, Sieboldianum, to name just a few. Both of those varieties are vastly more colorful than bloodgood (I've had a few of those too).

Check here:
http://www.mendocinomaples.com/acer-species/acer-sieboldianum

I disagree and I suppose it depends on location. I live in a Condo and the entire community does not exceed 150 units - we have the only one and all the locals ogle it on a regular basis...

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, Bloodgood (Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum') is a staple of Home Depot and big box stores. It is one of those "top sellers" that is grafted (badly) and sold by the thousands. Atropurpureum is the "go-to" variety for alot of professional landscapers because they're easy to get.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/26/bloodgood-japanese-maple/

ANY Japanese maple of any size will get ogled...Most of the more ogle-able varieties aren't used enough because people just settle on a bloodgood from HD.

With so many Japanese Maple cultivars out there that are a lot more attractive and lack the bad grafts Bloodgoods usually come with, it's a shame they aren't considered more. There are literally hundreds of varieties. The site I posted previously lists 207 Acer palmatum varieties, as well as related, even less used Acer Japonicum cultivars.

You just have to look a bit harder
http://japanesemaples.com/
http://www.japanese-maple.com/nursery.html
http://wildwoodmaples.com/index.php

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bloodgood is too common and not the best cultivar for sure. There are hundreds that are much better than Bloodgood. Bloodgood perform better for hot climate area but I wouldn't pick it if I live in Northeast US.

Top Bottom