Japanese Maple Leaves Wilting

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am noticing that all of my Japanese Maples are affected by this drying/wilting of leaves. No other species seem affected (Tridents, azaleas, elms,) other than my Japanese Maples.

Does anyone know what would be causing this?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Did you recently change it's position to a sunnier one in the garden

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a Coreana that took freezing on the porch all winter and I root-pruned it.It looked fine in spring ,but has slowly declined.The other Coreana I left on the porch all winter,I did not root-prune is doing just fine.You may be having a root problem.I put the suffering Coreana in the ground and hopefully will bounce back.Good luck!

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a Coreana that took freezing on the porch all winter and I root-pruned it.It looked fine in spring ,but has slowly declined.The other Coreana I left on the porch all winter,I did not root-prune is doing just fine.You may be having a root problem.I put the suffering Coreana in the ground and hopefully will bounce back.Good luck!

Perhaps overwatering? There was a long stretch a couple weeks back that was raining for an extended period of time (2 weeks or so).

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks like scorch to me. Doesn't look like overwatering. If it was overwatering they'd turn yellow and drop or black and wilt. They look all dried up on the edges. Maybe someone else can say better what it is.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Perhaps overwatering? There was a long stretch a couple weeks back that was raining for an extended period of time (2 weeks or so).

Perhaps the roots are staying too wet. That begs the question- how well draining and/or moisture retentive is your soil mix for these trees? Fwiw, I use the same mix for my maples as I do for my junipers... 100% inorganic mix of turface, pumice, and lava. Another contributing factor could be wind and sun. I know you all had a heat wave last week...throw in some wind and roots that may be a little waterlogged and viola...dessicated leaves.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Perhaps the roots are staying too wet. That begs the question- how well draining and/or moisture retentive is your soil mix for these trees? Fwiw, I use the same mix for my maples as I do for my junipers... 100% inorganic mix of turface, pumice, and lava. Another contributing factor could be wind and sun. I know you all had a heat wave last week...throw in some wind and roots that may be a little waterlogged and viola...dessicated leaves.

Hmm...2 of the Japanese Maples are in soil that do not drain well and they happen to be the worst affected. I'm leaning towards the roots are staying wet. Especially since the leaves seem to have worsen significantly after the heat wave. I'll have to monitor watering them much more closely.

Also in contrast, I have a Amur maple that's in a very well draining soil and it isn't affected by this issue.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
IMO the leaves curling at the edges with that dry look is due to not enough water transport up the trunk to the leaves in a time of heat. If you didn't put it in an overly hot spot or with reflected light then it's probably because the roots weren't ready or were not in good shape at the time of heat. So it can be that the start of the problem was overwatering which got the roots in an unhappy state and then you get a heat wave and the roots are not prepared to deliver so the leaves cook.
Ian

hozookie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sly. My bet is on the recent heatwave (90F+) and super summer sun from the past few weeks. I noticed slight wilting on my Amur and Japanese as well and I keep mine under 50% shade cloth with daily misting and watering.

There's a direct correlation between sun and heat and when both are at their peak, delicate leaves, like Japanese maples, will need to be protected and hydrated. Hope that helps.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think lack of water OR too much water that led to damaged/compromised root system => not enough water to the tree/leaves. Leaves only manifested the problem.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm guessing not enough water in this heat wave.its interesting, my maples in bonsai pots have less scorch tha the ones in grow pots.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Our heat wave has finally calmed down that was preceded by 12" of rain in June. All varieties of our Maples seemed to have survived with the worst case being a very minute leaf tip browning on an ornamental. They all have very good drainage and after the rain stopped and the heat came I found myself watering between 4-6 times a day! Knowing that I am certain all of our outdoor plant areas will have a retractable roof system at the new property...

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would bet on too much sun also. At my last club meeting a member brought in an Acer Palmatum that looked like yours. She said she had it in full sun. I learned this lesson before, so I keep mine in morning sun, afternoon shade, and I have no brown tips at all. Incidentally, both trees are potted in almost identical soil that was mixed at a club event in February this year.
I also have found that my kingsvilles and azaleas flourish in the same light (on the same bench, north facing at the back of my home). In my experience, Chinese elm, zelcova, ficus, bougainvillea, junipers, and to a slightly lesser degree, hornbeams, tridents, and yews seem to approve of mostly sun all day.
I would recommend trying morning sun on the Japanese Maple and see how it reacts.

Top Bottom