Japanese maple soil?

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Ya i just got some small Japanese Maple sprouts. i have 5 all bout 7 inches tall. what would be the best soil to use from them?

my Fukien tea came with what looks like pure coconut, and it loves it. Now i have a bunch of the coconut cuz from what i can tell its the same stuff i use for bedding for my pythons. will it work for maples to or should i add to it. i dont really feel like buying pre-made soil mix id rather just make some.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
do you know where, exactly, these whips were started? Ideally they would be planted in open ground to aid growth and moderate temps of the rootzone. But if they were greenhouse cuttings, the shock of winter cold would likely kill them.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ideally they would be planted in open ground to aid growth and moderate temps of the rootzone.

This.

Where are you located?

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
do you know where, exactly, these whips were started? Ideally they would be planted in open ground to aid growth and moderate temps of the rootzone. But if they were greenhouse cuttings, the shock of winter cold would likely kill them.

i do not know exactly where they were started i think Illinois. However i live in south texas and it is no longer winter here, its already gettin in the mid 80's. and i would plant them in open ground however i live on an island and its nothing but salty sand. thats why im asking about soil mixes.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're just growing them out, soil components don't really matter that much. Coarse perlite/pumice/lava (that's either, or) and bark, with pieces 1/4" and larger. Cheap and effective. You can use the coconut instead of bark if the pieces are large enough.

Top Bottom