Japanese Maple Sun Requirements

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Should be ok, I have some in full sun with no issues, others need almost full shade. What cultivar(s) do you have?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like an OK minimum, but the duration of sun will be changing all season long. And it might not be linear, depending on over head obstacles, amount of daylight and the suns position in the sky

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That sounds ideal. That's gotta be more than six hours of direct sunlight per day up in Canada. What time is your sunrise this time of year?

Edit: I was able to look it up. It looks like most parts of Ontario see the sun shortly after 6:00 a.m. this time of year. Five to six hours of direct sunlight in the cooler half of the day is pretty good.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It really depends. You're in a colder climate, so I wouldn't expect leaf burn to be a problem for most JMs that are otherwise healthy.

If not causing sunburn, all day sun will give you smaller leaves, shorter internodes, and faster overall growth. I try to give mine as much sun as they can handle, unless it's a specific cultivar I'm trying to persuade certain colors out of (e.g. white variegated leaves).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ideally, full sun through the morning and dappled shade in the afternoon when it's hottest. Fwiw, I've found most palmatums can take more sun than that, but windy, hot days with relatively low humidity can be problematic and dramatically increase water needs, even with those in more shade.

Top Bottom