Japanese Maples Chill Hour Requirements

yiannos

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently purchased several Acer Papmatum trees (Shindeshojo, Akane, Englishtown, Red Dragon, and Orangeola). I plan to develop most of these for bonsai (except the two weeping varieties with high grafts). They are all currently planted in pots.

I live in upstate New York in Zone 5b.

My question is what are the chill hour requirements for Acer Palmatums? How many hours minimum and in what range?

I am trying to decide whether it is best to keep these trees in my heated greenhouse which I keep at 40F over winter (works well for the tropical trees I grow in there), or to keep them in my unheated garage?

My concerns are that the temperature in my detached garage is often not much higher than outside (often just above 0Fat night in winter), which might be too cold for these trees, and that if I keep them in my greenhouse at 40F at night and higher in the day time might not be cold enough for them.

I welcome your thoughts.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I only know that it is somewhere between 1000 hours (6 weeks) and 1700 (10 weeks) and varies by cultivar. In essence, I live in a coastal Douglas fir forest. Douglas fir require something like 1700 hours of bud chill time. It frequently happens here that we have nights below 40F, beginning in November, and then a couple of weeks in February where temperatures are in the 50Fs. No maples break bud during this balmy spell in February, but the do after a few more chilling weeks in March.

On the other hand, we have @Gustavo Martins growing acer palmatums in the Azores (zone 11) where the extreme low temperature is something more than 40F/5C. I think this indicates that effective chilling may occur at temperatures below 8C, say. The 40F/5C threshold for chilling must be just a convenience as this is just a common refrigerator setting. I do not know of any relevant studies determining the chilling temperature threshold for species other than ones that a important to the lumber industry.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Similarly, it almost never gets below 40F where I live, and all cultivars I've worked with seem to do just fine. So the chill cutoff must be higher than that.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I recently purchased several Acer Papmatum trees (Shindeshojo, Akane, Englishtown, Red Dragon, and Orangeola). I plan to develop most of these for bonsai (except the two weeping varieties with high grafts). They are all currently planted in pots.

I live in upstate New York in Zone 5b.

My question is what are the chill hour requirements for Acer Palmatums? How many hours minimum and in what range?

I am trying to decide whether it is best to keep these trees in my heated greenhouse which I keep at 40F over winter (works well for the tropical trees I grow in there), or to keep them in my unheated garage?

My concerns are that the temperature in my detached garage is often not much higher than outside (often just above 0Fat night in winter), which might be too cold for these trees, and that if I keep them in my greenhouse at 40F at night and higher in the day time might not be cold enough for them.

I welcome your thoughts.

I've also come up empty in my previous searches for dormancy studies on A. palmatum. But a few years ago, I stumbled on a landscape A. palmatum of some age in coastal Ventura, CA, zone 10a (30F-35F). But for the last 7 years we have been closer to 11A (40-45F). From the landscape jade plants the last freeze was +~10 years ago. So, I picked up a couple 1 gallons Japanese Maples and they have been through two "winters", losing their leaves or manually defoilating the mostly spent leaves in mid-December. They have budded out around late Feb. to early March. Which is before my Trident Maples (which hold their leaves longer) and after the Chinese Elms (which usually hold some leaves year-round). It should also be noted that "Sunset" magazine lists Ventura as Zone 23, subtropical thermal belt, lacking the summer heat and winter cold necessary to grow pear, apples, and peaches. Average lows 43-48F.
Ventura Acer p_Nov2017.jpg
From my limited research, I came across 2 papers that I used to determine my chill hours or units. The 1st is "Chilling and Heat Unit Levels Affect Foliar Budbreak of Selected Red and Freeman Maple Cultivars" by Barett Wilson, et. al. Acer rubrum is relevant because it has a range across the entire Eastern US all the way to the tip of Florida. It's been awhile since I read this paper, but essentially they determined that the Red Maples required more cumulative heat units (hours>72F) when they had lower cumulative chill hours (<45F). For example, 200 chill hours required 1700 heat hours for budbreak and 1200 chill hours only required 46 heat hours. This is referred to as the Chill Units (CU) model or Old 45 model.

Another paper, "Chilling Accumulation: its Importance and Estimation" by Byrne and Bacon of Texas A&M referenced the CU model and also the "Utah Model". The Utah Model is interesting as it assigns units and partial units for temperatures between 34F and 54F and negative units for greater than 61F. A breakdown of values is on below chart.

I had pulled the nearest weather station (2017 data) that I could locate which was 3 miles from the ocean probably has slightly higher highs and lower lows than I receive. The chart of the data with Ventura's average highs and lows overlain (from generic Google Climate Graph). The chart starts in May. You can see it has several 24 days with lows below 40F and 2 days with lows below 32F. Applying CU or Old 45F model gives a cumulative chill hour total of 293 hours from the Fall Equinox (Sept. 22nd) to late April. Based on that model, my Japanese Maples have been ending dormancy between 200-300 chill hours <45F. The heat hours do not seem to have a big impact, as I only accumulate ~120 heat hours (>72F) after leaf drop and hardly any during the span where 200 chill hours are attained and the trees break dormancy.
2017 Oxnard Temp Chart.jpg
CU Model_2017.jpg
I favor the Utah model has I get "credit" for my temperatures between 45F and 54F. The chart of that model applied to same temperature data is below. The breakdown of the temperature range unit assignment is on the right. These are "Chill Units" and not hours. For example, 1 hour between 37-48F is 1 unit, but 1 hour at 35-36F is only 0.5 unit and 1 hour at 49-54F is 0.5 unit. In this model, I accumulate over 800 chill units from the Fall Equinox to early March. Of course, this partial credit model doesn't really help if you don't have the chill unit requirement for certain species. But I view it as capturing that higher temperature range not measured by the Old 45F model. In essence, I'm getting credit for an additional 500 "hours" of accumulated chill time between 45-54F.
Utah Model_2017.jpg
All that to say, I believe you can achieve the dormancy requirements if you keep if between 40-45F. If you use artificial light on the tropicals, I would try to segregate the maples to give them as close to the normal daylight as possible.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Chilling Accumulation_ its Importance and Estimation _ Texas A&M Stone Fruit Breeding and Cult...pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Chilling and Heat Unit Levels Affect Foliar Budbreak of Selected Red and Freeman Maple Cultiva...pdf
    58.1 KB · Views: 11

yiannos

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank so much. This is very helpful.

So from what you have all been saying, my best bet is to keep my JMs in the heated greenhouse over winter, keep the temperature between 40-45F and move them to the far end of the greenhouse (away from the house) where it gets a little colder (by 2-3F), and keep the grow lights off them.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Super interesting topic. I've also searched this as I am fascinated with the idea of breeding a Japanese maple cultivar that can thrive in zones 9 and above. There's more research on this topic within commercial fruiting plants such as peaches, thats probably where the money is.

I think a good method for conducting research would be to collect as many Japanese maple cultivars as possible, then propagate maybe 2-10 cuttings from each cultivar. From there, keep them in a temperature controlled environment with a fixed number of chill hours per year and record which cultivars do best under N chill hours.

From there, start crossing maples that have the most promising traits for low chill requirement, heat tolerance, and any additional traits that may be beneficial such as growth speed, vigor or attractiveness. I've read that plants grown from seed have a range of chill requirements that averages out to be equal to the mother plant. So it is possible to select for the lowest chill requirement seedlings over generations.

Last edited:

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's an interesting website that shows chill hours by area: http://agroclimate.org/tools/chill-hours-calculator/

I know Japanese maples are sold as far down as Ocala, and have read posts on this forum of a guy claiming to know of some old Japanese maples thriving a bit north of Orlando. Somewhere around 150-200 chill hours seems to be the lower limit of the species.

Last edited:

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Super interesting topic. I've also searched this as I am fascinated with the idea of breeding a Japanese maple cultivar that can thrive in zones 9 and above. There's more research on this topic within commercial fruiting plants such as peaches, thats probably where the money is.

I think a good method for conducting research would be to collect as many Japanese maple cultivars as possible, then propagate maybe 2-10 cuttings from each cultivar. From there, keep them in a temperature controlled environment with a fixed number of chill hours per year and record which cultivars do best under N chill hours.

From there, start crossing maples that have the most promising traits for low chill requirement, heat tolerance, and any additional traits that may be beneficial such as growth speed, vigor or attractiveness. I've read that plants grown from seed have a range of chill requirements that averages out to be equal to the mother plant. So it is possible to select for the lowest chill requirement seedlings over generations.
I dunno. Given how many hundreds of years that thousands upon thousands of people have been cultivating Japanese maples on every continent, and how there are now more than 1000 recognized cultivars, the notion that you're going to think of something that hasn't been thought of before comes across as slightly naive. :)

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I dunno. Given how many hundreds of years that thousands upon thousands of people have been cultivating Japanese maples on every continent, and how there are now more than 1000 recognized cultivars, the notion that you're going to think of something that hasn't been thought of before comes across as slightly naive. :)
I don't think there has been much of an effort to breed Japanese maples for warmer climates. There has for heat tolerance but not for low chill.

Most cultivars are chance seedlings chosen for visual uniqueness and beauty.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Iseli Nursery produces a line of extremely cold hardy maples that are the result of crossing Korean maple with acer palmatum. Your goals, @Arlithrien, might be achieved by finding a more tropical maple to cross with a palmatum, IMHO.

Are you a member of the Maple Society, by chance?
I'll look into it.

I've noticed there are about a dozen or so cultivars that are commonly sold in the south and thrive in full sun. Mostly red varieties.

I like think osakazuki is a good candidate given it's heat tolerance, vigor, and growth rate.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
One would assume, that in breeding maples for heat tolerance, one would unintentionally also be selecting for low chill hours. As the hottest parts of the country are the same areas that have low chill winters, for example, Texas and California. Hot summers, and short, mild winters tend to go hand in hand.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't think there has been much of an effort to breed Japanese maples for warmer climates. There has for heat tolerance but not for low chill.

Most cultivars are chance seedlings chosen for visual uniqueness and beauty.
All I'm suggesting is to temper your expectations, but by all means go for it.

But there's 90 million people living in California, Texas, or Florida. Seems like either some real, significant hurdles or a unusually large oversight.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All I'm suggesting is to temper your expectations, but by all means go for it.

But there's 90 million people living in California, Texas, or Florida. Seems like either some real, significant hurdles or a unusually large oversight.
I don't expect this to be something a single individual can accomplish in their backyard for fun. It could take millions of dollars to set up a large scale breeding operation and nearly a lifetime to produce anything viable. But I do believe it's possible, and if there were a large enough market for it, could be accomplished as has been done with fruit trees.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One would assume, that in breeding maples for heat tolerance, one would unintentionally also be selecting for low chill hours. As the hottest parts of the country are the same areas that have low chill winters, for example, Texas and California. Hot summers, and short, mild winters tend to go hand in hand.
Certainly but there were a lot of areas that received enough chill hours to begin with but full sun was too intense. Chill hours drop off so quickly once you hit Florida. The north of the state can get 600 annually while central Florida might get as little as 100 hours.

You could take advantage of natural selection and select volunteers that naturally germinated in the warmer climate where others didn't. But there's also the challenge that seed chill requirement may be completely unrelated to deciduous cycle chill requirement. There may not be any volunteers to begin with, especially since most seeds require a 90 day chilling period which is over 2000 chill hours.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Plant breeding is a complex process if you are serious about attaining specific results. You will need to trial hundreds if not thousands of seedlings and cultivars to see if they meet your selection criteria. This takes resources, and time. Its an ambitious project.

Top Bottom